Mythbusters' Grant Imahara reverse engineers McDonald's fries and learns they have 19 ingredients

My kid had that reflux valve thing. She didn’t barf a lot so much as you tipped her over, and she’d just spill. It’s how I know about the stuff. It’s horrible; it looks like semen and smells like orange squash.

1 Like

One trend that’s been fun here in California is former Taco Bells getting turned into actual Mexican restaurants. There’s one down the road from* here that expanded their dining room, and while the white-painted brick in the expansion section isn’t quite the same as the original, it’s a good enough match.

(Chalateco in Mountain View, which is mainly Salvadoran but also has Mexican food.)

1 Like

If you look in the back window of an In&Out Burger, you’ll see an employee taking actual potatoes, putting them in a chopper, pulling the lever to dump raw French-fries into a bowl, and take the bowl over to dump them into hot oil. (I don’t know how many of those 19 ingredients are in the oil, though.)

If you get them right when they’re hot, they’re really good. (On the other hand, if you let them cool down for even five minutes, they turn pretty lame, while McD’s fries will still be good. Part of it’s probably the thickness of the fries, but part of it’s probably the precision of the industrial process and the coatings on the outside.) But McD’s doesn’t know how to turn them into Animal-Style Fries, so they just lose.

3 Likes

Lots of ingredients doesn’t mean the food is worse for you. This is almost Food babe level dumb

3 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Here - you might enjoy this:

1 Like

Adam discusses the Mythbuster’s Reboot.

Unfortunately, with a world population of 7 billion plus and rising and limited land area, I don’t see that there’s any escape from industrialised food for most of us. We can’t all eat at home all the time, and we can’t all go foraging for fresh food. Even getting fresh-ish food from the local industrialised food storage building (aka supermarket) isn’t always doable, what with wealth distribution being what it presently is.

2 Likes

Sadly, par for the course. Tivo and the 30-second skip button make it a much better show.

Salad? What, did you get sick of the only other vegetarian things we get stuck with - pasta primavera and veggie burgers?

There’s seriously a lack of creativity in menu planning out there.

1 Like

San Francisco paper has a video showing the actual process of making them (PR from McD’s, of course, but still interesting to watch.)

It seems that the buildings tend to get re-used rather than razed. I’ve seen this in Texas, as well. Sometimes it’s a Mexican restaurant, sometimes it’s a used car dealer.

Here in Maryland I don’t recall any old-style Taco Bells. Maybe under the old system (that I was speculating about above), when they cooked the food, they needed to be closer to the distributor which I guess was in California.

When I lived in New York as a kid (late 70s) there wasn’t any Mexican food at all – I recall there was one Mexican restaurant on Long Island, at least that my parents knew of. We had moved to NY from LA so we were missing it. When we moved to Texas after NY the abundance of Mexican food made the transition a little easier.

1 Like

Is no one else put off by the fact that Grant is shilling for McDonald’s?

1 Like

I believe there’s a subreddit devoted to producing “condensed” edits of Mythbusters episodes, where they get rid of the filler and tedious bits.

Cut him some slack, won’t you? The guy just got fired.

1 Like

You’re in luck. /r/smyths has been re-editing MythBuster’s episodes to remove the repetition and put the episodes into single-story order for some time.

1 Like

This is the main reason I watch very little reality programming even when the subject is interesting and the people on it likable. For example, I watched quite a few Property Brothers, because remodeling is interesting to me, but then it got to be so formulaic, obviously they had streamlined the taping schedule to just a few days. The people getting their homes remodeled were clearly acting to a script, and very poorly at that. The Property Brother’s lines were all the same from show to show. Thanks for taking an inherently interesting idea and reducing it to watching people who can’t act try to and watching people who have something interesting to say focus on fake bickering and dumb jokes.

Or another show I’ve pretty much never watched is American Idol and all the variations on the theme (The Voice, etc). I remember back when this show was called Star Search and they would showcase quite a few talented people in a single episode - they had comedy, singers in about three different categories, comedians, and models all competing in one hour. Now they take a few people who have some talent, manufacture the voice production to the point where you can’t even tell if they are actually singing, have so much cliffhanger drama built into the format that you can tell they are taking 6 minutes of tv and stretching it to 22. It’s just not interesting to watch, and I wonder how much money they save in production by doing all the work in editing instead of just taping a few more minutes of people singing.

I get tired of shows that are so hamhanded in manipulating their audience.

3 Likes

My wife is making me by one of those hyper-realistic masks of Jonathan Scott. I agreed only on the condition she roleplay as Hilary Farr.

1 Like

Guess Grant’s got some bills to pay…

That’s why I’m a bit scared about TTIP. USians put a lot of weird shit into their food, don’t want that here (and keep our generous consumer protections btw).

In general, the first season or two of most of those renovation shows are watchable. If they’re successful, they end up falling into the formulaic trap and are significantly less interesting. Property Virgin fell into the same category for my wife and I. Also Leave It To Bryan (which actually filmed two episodes on our street on season! But only on HGTV Canada afaik) and Income Property.

1 Like