USA McDonald's fries have 14 ingredients. UK McDonald's fries have 4

[Permalink]

Don’t link to FoodBabe, she’s not a credible source for nutrition information.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/12/04/364745790/food-babe-or-fear-babe-as-activist-s-profile-grows-so-do-her-critics

36 Likes

Don’t worry about it, it’s totally fine. We’ve been eating the stuff for years and nothing is wrong with us.

1 Like

Food Babe is a dishonest, illinformed menace. Please do not elevate her any further by sending her new readers.

29 Likes

Come oooonnn Boingboing don’t force me to link to this, you’re better than this.

Seriously what is with this anti-scientific bent you’ve been on lately, it’s embarrassing. Science is good, we like science, remember?

Edit: lol is there a pro-/anti-science turf war going on on the front page right now? WHO WILL WIN

16 Likes

The poor British. Have they no food chemists? Perhaps we could do a lend-lease thing.

10 Likes

There may be issues with foodbabe, but that doesn’t make the chart of ingredients any less accurate (or does it)?

That being said, looks like the Brits (like those in India) get to have their fries vegetarian. I haven’t eaten at a McDonald’s in over a decade, but I would probably stop by occasionally if I knew the fries were okay for vegetarians…

7 Likes

Mmm… foam…

3 Likes

it’s not actually clear from McDonald’s UK’s information what they use in their friers. It looks more like the US counterpart is required to list absolutely everything whereas the UK chain isn’t. They say they use oil but they don’t say they don’t use anything else. In any event, dimethylpolysiloxane is not toxic to humans according to the WHO. Also the Food Babe is not a credible source.

16 Likes

The Food Babe is a babe…but many of her views on food and a bunch of other stuff – ever see her take on those evil microwave ovens and how they “alter” the molecular structure of water – are just scare mongering crapola undertaken in the name of earning a buck. She is, near as I can tell., preying on the fears of people who either are A) into this sort of stuff or B) not very smart. Also disappointed to see her mentioned with anything that might even approach approval here at BoingBoing. May as well use Jenny McCarthy in a post about vaccines (and it must be pointed out that McCarthy is every bit the trained expert on vaccines as the Food Babe is on the stuff she pushes.)

14 Likes

Potentially, because the UK McDonald’s site has a big caveat:

“Please note our Fries can be cooked in the same oil as the Spicy Veggie Patty which contains: Chickpeas (31%), Batter (Rice Flour, Maize Flour, Maize Starch, Potato Starch, (Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum)), Breadcrumb (Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Maize Starch, Dextrose), Onion (10%), Yellow Split Peas (7%), Potatoes (7%), Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Water, Dehydrated Potato, Herbs & Spices (Cumin, Coriander, Garlic, Garlic Powder), Sugar, Salt.”

So it’s more of a contamination than an ingredient, but the whole truth is better than just most of it.

7 Likes

What is unscientific about being interested in food ingredients?

7 Likes

Interest in food is fine.

Using Food Babe and/or linking to her site as a source of information, not so much. The word “scientific” should never be used anywhere near that person unless in the process of discrediting her garbage.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/vani-hari-a-k-a-the-food-babe-finally-responds-to-critics/

19 Likes

A lot of questions are asked, but I’m guessing that there’s probably great answers. I seriously doubt McDonalds would add random chemicals to their fries if there wasn’t an economic advantage to it.

Completely random thought: Maybe the UK is smaller than America, and fries have to last through lengthier production/transportation cycles? Americans expect differentiation between french fries from different chains? There could be all sorts of reasons.

3 Likes

Strangely, being physically attractive doesn’t actually happen to confer scientific expertise. Her schtick is “Chemicals sound scary! Ban them!!!1!1” And she and her fellow FUD spewers are a big part of why 80% of Americans polled ignorantly agreed that any food containing DNA should specially labeled (all plants and animals have DNA), apparently clueless that DNA is different from artificial GMO.

She really should go by some more accurate moniker, perhaps “@ScientificallyIgnorantAlarmistBabe” or, my vote, @FUD_Babe.

4 Likes

I’m interested in food ingredients too! It’s more that the Food Babe’s angle on it is that THERE IS LITERALLY SILLY PUTTY IN YOUR FOOD OMG, which is…misleading at best, and unfortunately right in line with her anti-vaxx stance.

16 Likes

Um, they linked to “Food Babe” who is full of utter shit.

10 Likes

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME BOING BOING?!?!?

28 Likes

Please give me a cite that shows that the list of ingredients Food Babe posted is utter shit so I can add it to the post.

2 Likes

Food babe has been found to lie, on multiple occasions. Even Rush LImbaugh has been right at least once in his life, I’m sure. Still doesn’t make him a credible source for anything.

There are plenty of other sources around. Food Babe is not a credible source at all and should be avoided at all costs.

12 Likes