Nacho is the greatest of all orange cheeses

Kicks the shit out of those jars of “queso”. That stuff is always so curiously bland.

1 Like

Red Leicester!

1 Like

That’s why the parent company is called Yum! foods.

1 Like

Sort of the Donald Trump of cheese?

3 Likes

I prefer to make nacho cheese like the various Mexican places do around the Midwest (white Land O’Lakes American Cheese melted pound-to-cup with milk, carrying loads of minced jalapeno, habanero, and cayenne). Just milk & milkfat with salt; no questionable vegoil emulsifiers.

For those of us who are avoiding carbs: I like to make a thin semi-crisp wrap from a single egg and use that instead of a tortilla as a wrap for deli meat & maybe some veg, with a spread of the aforementioned cheese included. Works fine as a burrito or taco too, ofc.

2 Likes

What do they do with leftover nacho cheese?
Chemtrails.

3 Likes

As a kid I ate nachos at every little league game I played. I can’t speak for how it’s commonly made now, but in 1970’s Texas it was simple roux with milk whisked in and cheddar cheese stirred in one handful at a time. Once melted, toss in some chili powder and pour over chips. It was a real cheese dish.

4 Likes

Late at night, kitchen closed, nothing to snack on?

Simple nachos
Cut fresh corn tortillas into triangles, fry until crisp, pile onto heat-proof plate, cover with shredded cheddar cheese, stick under salamander or broiler until cheese melts, add thinly sliced jalapeños to taste.

That’s what maître d’hôtel Ignacio “Nacho” Anaya did in Piedras Blancas in 1943 in order to accommodate the wives of some American servicemen who were in town for a cross-border shopping trip, but had arrived after the restaurant’s kitchen had closed.

I’m sure he’d be thrilled to hear that some American baseball-stadium vendor had been “credited with perfecting nacho cheese” by replacing the cheddar cheese with a goopy pasteurized-process American cheezy sauce.

Seriously, that’s like crediting Glenn Bell with “perfecting the taco.”

3 Likes

So, I’ve been in Tijuana for six months, and still have yet to see anything resembling that orange goop on tortilla chips down here.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.