Nancy Pelosi, at age 83, says she is running for reelection in 2024

She’s not on any committees

It was announced when she declined the new minority leadership, and she’s not listed as having any committee assignments by the clerk’s office

Office of the Clerk, U.S. House of Representatives

Nancy Pelosi relishes her new post-speaker role of mentoring - The Washington Post

2 Likes

Well then someone needs to primary her and spend all of the time hammering away at her advanced age. Every answer to every question is “She’s ancient.”

Same goes for Biden.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: people need to primary her because people are entitled to run for office

Nobody owns a seat in Congress

4 Likes

California has open primaries. In 2022, there were 4 Democrats and 2 Republicans in the primary for that seat. Pelosi got over 70% of the vote. The reality is that incumbency confers a massive electoral advantage, especially for someone popular and well known, as Pelosi is. The only way she’s losing that seat is if she decides to not run.

Ageism doesn’t play super well in San Francisco and certainly not against Nancy. And especially after what happened to her husband.

The person most likely to replace her would be Scott Wiener whose positions frankly aren’t all that different from hers (moderate liberal in SF politics, though socially progressive/economic liberal outside SF), albeit he’s a bit more… aggressive on legislation, but he, along with the few others who have a chance, won’t run against her.

I mean, could we get an upper limit on age for federal office? We have a minimum age limit.

And/Or term limits.

1 Like

I’m not a Pelosi-hater but more and more I’m disliking living under this gerontocracy that is looking like the Roman Senate in the waning days of the Empire: a bunch of old rich folks holding onto power.
I replied to Madam Pelosi’s tweet asking her to please resign. Don’t do a Dianne Feinstein on us. It is just unseemly.

1 Like

Everyone starts their life young and everyone will have their turn growing old if they live long enough. Give someone else a chance to do the job.

1 Like

I’m voting for another Democrat and hope you join me. It’s past time we do.

2 Likes

Who cares? I’d rather see a dessicated corpse as POTUS than any of the Trumpf or Desantis Ilk.

1 Like

All the olds hatred here is making me sigh like a Peanuts character. As long as people have their marbles, I have no problem voting for them. I do think McConnell and Feinstein are demonstrably past their better if used by dates, but Pelosi still seems with it, and Biden, for all the media narrative that he’s a doddering old fool, is still clearly on his game. Everyone relax and vote for the person whom you know will vote for the right things.

1 Like

She doesn’t seem to have dropped a step. Unlike many others. Or had a brain injury; like my junior senator from Pennsylvania. Or had several failed Presidential campaigns; like the very senior senator from Vermont. Yet no one is clamoring for them to retire.

Not sure if I should link this to the misogyny or ageism threads.

If someone wants her seat - beat her in the campaign. If you can.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.