Nancy Pelosi becomes Speaker of The House, 116th Congress is most diverse ever

I know, it’s difficult to resist.

3 Likes

#civility

6 Likes

This is the correct answer.

3 Likes

Republican hypocritical paternalism in action: do as Father says, not as Father does.

5 Likes

Hooray! An ever-increasing number of prominent members of the US Govt suffer from senile dementia and are in the pockets of corporations!

1 Like

I’m calling this a win for center-right corporatists.

4 Likes

if only some other important federal offices required repeated votes until a majority is reached…

The only thing Pelosi hates worse than the Green New Deal is surveillance reform. Because this is the dumbest timeline, now that progressives hold the House, Pelosi will prevent them from using it to make any progress. What a shame.

2 Likes

I take it that the Speaker is locked in for the 2 year session, with rules for replacement for things like death, but not back-bencher revolt?

(I’m not suggesting that later replacement would be a good idea.)

I suggest you look into the career of Joseph Cannon.

Particularly mid March, 1910

That’s from

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/GPO-CRECB-1910-pt4-v45/, page 3437

1 Like

Christ, what an asshole.

Roughly. Vote happens with each seating of a new congress, which is every 2 years.

Pelosi agreed to pursue term limits for offices like this. Capping it at 3, and requiring a 2/3 majority support within the party to seek a 4th.

And apparently agreed to include her 2 previous terms. Basically meaning she agreed to step down after the next 2 elections.

The details on the term limits proposal seem weird and maybe unworkable. Especially that 2/3rds thing which doesn’t seem like any actual kind of cap. And obviously that stuff all needs to be voted on and instituted in the actual house.

And internal house rules like that can simply be reversed at any time, and can often be ignored.

But the salient detail seems to be that Pelosi has agreed to abide by that outline whether it passes or not, or if that’s the format such term limits actually take. She’s basically agreed to be finished by 2022.

wrong.

However:

It was under the speakership of U.S. Rep. Joseph G. Cannon (R-Ill.) that the motion to declare the Office of the Speaker vacant was last used.[12] As speaker, Cannon had earned the nickname Czar Cannon as a result of the power he wielded in the chamber. Cannon was a conservative Republican and faced a coup when the progressive wing of the House GOP conference threatened to join with Democrats to oust him. The coup, launched on St. Patrick’s Day of 1910, was led by U.S. Rep. George Norris (R-Neb.) who ultimately rallied 42 Republicans and 149 Democrats against Cannon.[13] In a speech on the floor, Cannon refused to resign, saying that “a resignation is in and of itself a confession of weakness or mistake or an apology for past actions. The Speaker is not conscious of having done any political wrong.”[14] The effort resulted in Cannon being removed from the chairmanship of the House Rules Committee, which until that time was part of the speaker’s role and gave him considerable power over the House floor. Cannon himself used the motion to declare the office of speaker vacant; he did so to halt the attack, anticipating that Republicans would rather vote for him as speaker than risk a Democrat’s election.[15]

Speakers (e.g. Wright, Gingrich) have resigned voluntarily instead of risking a formal defeat.

Ok at no point did I addess methods for removing or replacing a speaker. None the less claim they didn’t exist. Because you already answered that.

I was trying to point out that a deal seems to have been made to keep Pelosi as the speaker (provided Dems hold the house) through 2022. So it’s unlikely that anyone is going to try to remove her.

So as I said. Roughly speaking, the “term” is two years. And the vote for the position is taken every 2 years with the seating of a new congress post election.

A speaker can also lose their seat in the house, or be removed from office a number of ways. And though you don’t have to be a member of the house, technically, to be speaker. That usually results in a new speaker.

As for the resolution you’re pointing to. That’s a house internal rule. It can be altered or done away with fairly simply, at any time. And new pathways to remove a speaker can like wise be created. Just like this new term limit idea.

The salient part would be that Pelosi has committed to following that recommendation one way or another.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.