Nancy Pelosi (net worth $135 million) emails voters: if you don't give me money "it will be the single most devastating setback for protecting women's reproductive freedom"

Abortions rights are to Democrats what gun rights are to Republicans: a fundraising tactic.

I suppose the Democrats will have to update the exact same funding request they’ve been sending out for more than 30 years now, but they still won’t step forward with a firm plan. Most of them (with a few notable exceptions) won’t even make a particularly strong statement about it.

Yes, I’m aware that this has been a difficult issue and realistically, they probably never could have gotten it completely protected, but again, it’s like gun control: if you do nothing, it never changes.

11 Likes

Allow abortion and transgender health care to operate on federal lands. Doesn’t cost a cent.

Then I’ll send you money. I’m sticking with local races until you get off your asses.

16 Likes

It’s gotten way worse in the last few weeks. Only time I’ve given a donation that was over-the-dislcosure limit was to a friend who ran as a D for a House seat in upstate New York – in 2014, IIRC – I now get 6-10 texts a day from these guys.

4 Likes

“Please send money!”

Sent from my yacht via satellite

8 Likes

Or, hear me out, they could DO THE JOB THEY WERE FUCKING ELECTED TO DO.

Goddamnit the democratic party chafes my chaps.

8 Likes

Send your complaints care of Joe Manchin and or Kristen Sinema. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

The DNC is like a PBS station that is always on pledge week. They are never going to give us anything as long as there is money to be raised.

3 Likes

First - money in politics IS the problem,
Second - the extreme right has been playing the money game with a laser focus on “winning” —

…. Guess what - they won

This is our chance - we need to drop the hate of the system — and work it to meet the needs at hand.

Codify Roe, Gay Marriage, Clean energy economy… and on and on

4 Likes

I’d donate* based on what their political views have been over the last 20 years. Tony Benn, then in his 70s, had my respect during the 90s, Tony Blair, in his 40s, didn’t.

Never donate directly to the party, that’s just putting your money into a black hole unless you are important enough to get something in return.

* I’m not allowed to donate to any US politician and wouldn’t risk anyone’s chances by trying to.

13 Likes

I know it is probably under “and on and on”, but trans rights are a priority and some supposed liberals are looking to throw us under a bus in the vain hope of gaining right wing votes.

We have been under constant attack for years now, this year has been hell, we can not be ignored!

16 Likes

Borderer — yes trans rights are in need of legislation. And —“ on and on” is not meant to lower the value of our society’s other important issues. But, for the sake of brevity and in light of our current Supreme Court right turn on settled law - these 3 stand out.

1 Like

Given the wave of anti-trans attacks and laws, that one seems pretty important to me too. This isn’t the first time fascists started by going after trans people and I would really rather not let them have that one.

12 Likes

… not “directly,” to their “official campaign” :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m not nearly as upset about people who get rich and then go into politics as I am about people who go into politics and then get rich.

3 Likes

I’m sure Pelosi has an excellent plan for codifying a woman’s right to choose whether or not to have an abortion

I’m not so sure, and that’s frightening.

7 Likes

Based on a recent interview with Kamala Harris, they have zero plans for codifying a woman’s right to bodily autonomy except for telling people to vote for Democrats.

11 Likes

Why? Were they the ones campaigning in Texas for Cueller during the primary? Did they sneak into Biden’s staff to move to nominate move to nominate Chad Meredith to the federal judiciary? Was it the fact that Manchin secretly had a gun to Biden’s back that caused him to support the Hyde amendment until he ran for president? Oh maybe a young child Sinema tampered with Biden’s vote equipment in 1981 to vote for an amendment to overturn Roe. Did Manchin swap out a pro-choice VP nominee with Tim Kaine and no one noticed in time and they just had to run with him?

1 Like

No, they’re just the reason why we can’t do anything now. We are talking about now, aren’t we?

1 Like

Chad Meredith is about as now as possible. Cuellar was two months ago Manchin and Sinema block stuff, sure, but as far as I can tell with the actions taken by a lot of the party leadership, they are thrilled that those things are being blocked.

1 Like

That certainly is one way of putting it. You make it sound like a lot could be done even with them “blocking stuff” if only the vaguely defined party leadership had the gumption.

Do you honestly think Biden is going to veto an abortion rights bill that comes to his desk? Because I honestly believe that such a bill would reach his desk if not for Manchin and Sinema.

1 Like