NASA just released 8,400 Apollo moon mission photos online

Beer: The poor man’s vomit comet.

4 Likes

My point is go big or go home. To test the tech required to be on Mars, we could have it rigged up on the Moon. Yes it is different: hard vacuum vs thin atmosphere. Hotter sun. Different dust. But there is some universality to using the surface of the moon as a testing zone, especially if we set up any kind of hab module or ground anchored structure. Instead of theorizing about it and hoping that it works on Mars, we could be actually doing it and testing it on the sooner side much closer to home.

1 Like

We can barely manage it from the ISS and the Moon is a whole gravity well further away.

The Apollo landings were an amazing technological feat for the period. It is astonishing that nobody died, and I cannot begin to imagine the bravery of the astronauts (though I think extensive psychological conditioning was a key part of the training.) But they were not a technical basis for future exploration. It might have been acceptable in those days for Columbus to lose half his crews to disease, but his ships were small and his crews easily replaceable. The sheer size of a moon base project and the cost of training those involved means that the cost would be unacceptable, whereas unmanned probes are telling us things right now that manned exploration would not know perhaps for centuries (Pluto for instance).

The difference between Apollo and today is, basically, electronics, software and sensors that have replaced fragile, expensive and hard to ship people.

5 Likes

I don’t shower after I shave. If anything, I shower before I shave, to soften my beard. Then after shaving, I wipe my face with a towel to remove any leftover cream. I do not have any itchy hairs still clinging to my face or floating in the air near my face, threatening to infest the control electronics of my lunar orbit module. The act of shaving removed them from my face and they were washed off the razor when I swirled it in the sink half full of lukewarm water.

2 Likes

I think this is where you are incorrect. Many insights were gained from Apollo. They are still a source of new information. I believe that everything we do in space informs us, iteratively, of what we need to perfect in order to eventually venture forth bodily. I am suggesting that in the post-ISS era, the nearest place to test more iterations is not Mars; it’s the heavenly body in our own back yard, the moon.

1 Like

More executive jets for CEOs? She certainly tried to give that industry a boost while at HP.

2 Likes

But not, in reality, PTFE bearings.

I would be interested to know what was gained from Apollo that would not have been gained from a program of unmanned exploration along with sending people to LEO (like the ISS program) using similar budgets. One thing that might have happened in the latter case is more rapid progress in microelectronics and computing; another is the earlier development of economical lift vehicles.
Well, one thing Apollo did do is help to bankrupt the Soviet Union.

I was surprised, too, but maybe there’s a practical reason for it. Shorn faces came into fashion (in modernity, at least) because clean-shaven faces became a practical necessity in the military as soon as chemical warfare - and, consequently, gas masks - entered the picture. Maybe there were (emergency?) breathing apparati used in the Apollo missions which worked better/had a cleaner seal against a shorn face than a hairy one, like those old gas masks? I don’t know.

2 Likes

I’d like to point out that many Apollo guys were originally test pilots who likely had to wear breathing gear in the planes they tested during their pre-Apollo days. They probably had the socially praised habit, and they were super freaking far away from home at the time you know. So maybe NASA decided it was best to let them do toiletry duty for that ritual?

Yeah, I have “shrapnel-y” hair. It doesn’t matter whether I shave before or after a shower, hair dust shrapnel stuff makes it onto my collar-area skin no matter what when I shave. I don’t shave very often because it’s a pain in the ass, my job doesn’t require people seeing me (I walk into the cubefarm at 4PM, there’s usually only one coworker there (she’s autistic and prefers not looking at me, or hearing me, or talking to me, or sending me emails. Yes actually autistic, no I don’t dislike autistic people) who is there till 7PM) so I typically only shave once a week. So I typically use an electric clipper to take my beard down to about 0.5mm, then lather and shave with a regular quint-bladed razor (it still pulls, but I don’t have steady hands, so the tri-bladed or single-bladed razors are out unless you want @LDoBe salami).

Then I take my shower, thoroghly wash all the irritating hair shrapnel off my neck and collar, and enjoy the rest of my day with a very cold face.

I have a very fast-growing beard. It takes about a month to get about 1.5cm for my whole face.

True, but as none of them understand optics, film photography or physics the Sherlock Holmes approach will have no results whatsoever.
All the outpourings of the nuts who claimed the moon landing photos were faked just went to show how poor science education has become for the majority in the English speaking world.

1 Like

Is that so? Most of the gases used required whole-head masks. The early WW1 ones were pretty useless against phosgene and the mustards. (A major German attack on Verdun failed because the French replaced the old masks just before the new attack).
British fighter pilots used to grow large moustaches to protect their upper lips from rubbing on their oxygen masks. They shaved the rest of their faces to prevent friction from constantly turning their heads looking for the enemy, and so rubbing their faces on the scarves they used to keep their necks war,.

Not one of the ten hundred allowed words :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a great moving image of another up-goer from a different country more to the east

2 Likes

Well, no terrain, maybe. Gravity’s still there, it’s keeping you in orbit. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha, we are a bunch of pedants. Of course. But there is nothing sticking your feet to a rock up there.

*checks feet* Well, there’s a little dust stuck on there, but nothing I’d classify as a rock

(Pedants, or smartasses? You decide! :smiley: )

2 Likes

Shooped? :wink:

Neat stuff. I used a moon shot from Apollo 8 as a back drop for my freelance logo website.

Fortunately, I think the moon deniers are pretty small now adays. But with the right amount of cognitive dissonance people can refuse to believe anything.

3 Likes

Not surprised it took this long to fabricate all these. Actually they probably did 99% of the work just in the last 5 years now that computers are capable enough. Same reason why superhero movies have exploded recently. It’s all connected.

3 Likes

*Looks at pictures*
*Tingling sensation*

1 Like