NASA reports a "potentially hazardous" asteroid will come close to Earth on February 15, 2020

https://www.spaceweather.com/ is the goto spot for a relevant list of PHA encounters.
This beast doesn’t even warrant a light red colouring in the list.

Wake me up when the stuff comes closer than the GEO satellites.

14 Likes

Nostradumbass?
That’s just brilliant, and hysterical. Better than what I’ve been calling the fucking idiot.

9 Likes

Big Meteor checking the poll numbers for that run next November!

12 Likes

or over 14 times further than the Moon.

3 Likes

I imagine that is something Jupiter is more prone to than Earth, given its much greater gravitational pull and surface area.

9 Likes

Also, it’s in a bad neighborhood.

24 Likes

The selected image suggests an object with a diameter of many hundreds of km.

But really one six three three seven three twothousandandtwo pee zet thirty-nine is estimated to have a diameter of rougly 0.5 to 1 km.

Taking that discrepancy cubed for volume gives a scare mongering coefficient of nine orders of magnitude. And that’s before accounting for chance-of-impact.

12 Likes

NASA jerks kept this one quiet eh? Doesn’t fill one with confidence.

2 Likes

Not really. It has been known about for almost 2 decades. The ones you worry about are the ones that are not detected until the day of close encounter.

14 Likes

Although there is discussion in the field that the presence of a gas giant reduces the number of impacts on its sister terrestrial planets, the odds of its influence driving a body into the Earth’s path instead of its own is not zero.

12 Likes

yeah ok NASA. 3.6 MILLION MILES. glad i read through the whole post. was ready to go on a real bender for the next 48 hours.

7 Likes

Definitely a 9 on the FUD scale, which is a unit used by Clickbaitologists worldwide.

13 Likes

Thanks, yet another fact to keep me up at night!

4 Likes

NASA jerks? OK. I assume you’re being facetious.

2 Likes

Come on, extended winter… I miss the snow!!!

2 Likes

Maybe that’s why there’s no BB Valentine Gift Guide this year?

12 Likes

Please, come take some of ours. We’ve got plenty of winter to spare! The windchill was -33°F this morning.

6 Likes

Now you you’ve gone and done it. It’s not too late, you know.

10 Likes

earth is ready. please take us.

3 Likes

Until you account for all the nuclear plants, fuel processing locations and waste dumps vaporized by the meteor. :grimacing:

Edit: Oh, and weapons too. How could I have forgotten about those? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes