Nasal Ranger Field Olfactometer

I had a neighbor who smoked right next to my window and it smelled exactly like a skunk. I would be happy if there were rules about it.

Oh, please - the first thing any copā€™s gonna do with this is aim it at every passing womanā€™s crotch.

Not that my individual opinion is anywhere near indicative of a significant portion of the population at large, but for the record, I donā€™t like the smell either. Even when I used to enjoy using pot myself, I could agree that the smell itself wasnā€™t good. Now that I donā€™t smoke it (havenā€™t for over a decade), Iā€™m even less okay with the smell. And I would most certainly have a problem with it if the smell was making its way into my business. My home, Iā€™d probably buy stronger air freshener and just deal with it. But if my storeā€™s neighbors were smelling up my store property, Iā€™d have to try to get it fixed (first by dealing with the neighbors politely and directly, but if need by involving the authorities). I can see that smell being a big turn off to customers and running contrary to the mood and image that is appropriate for a business.

Why is reality trying to actively emulate The Onion? sigh

1 Like

I am disappointed, sir. Clearly the future stinks

1 Like

If this ordinance gets enforced much, itā€™ll push people toward milder-smelling sativas and hybrids instead of that dank purple skunky indica. And thatā€™s really just fine.

Actually its super easy. You take a paper towel tube, or toilet paper tube, stuff it with fabric softner sheets (as few as 2 will work) , then exhale into the sheet-tube. The smell which comes out the other side has absolutely no odor other than the pleasant one of Gain/Bounce/whatever. Do not put your bud/pipe in with the sheets, though, as my friend does, because you WILL taste it when you smoke. Pretty sure that taste indicates big trouble for your lungs too.

This ā€˜lawā€™ is potently stupid. Neither weed nor its smoke smells bad. In fact iā€™m pretty sure a nonsmoker might find the smell of cured buds pleasing without knowing what the source is. Cigarette smoke on the other handā€¦:unamused:

Skunk is a pleasant smell?

2 Likes

Is ownership of this device limited to licensed, card-carrying Nasal Rangers?

2 Likes

Oh potheads, just because you think it doesnā€™t smell bad doesnā€™t mean the rest of us want to smell pot all the time. I happen to think weed has an overwhelming scent that overpowers pretty much everything else. If you canā€™t keep your stash in glass jars like thoughtful people to keep the stank out of my house, then I should be able to call the police and have you fined. If that doesnā€™t work, then Iā€™m entirely happy to escalate matters by throwing stink bombs in your yard every day for a year.

On a somewhat related note, patchouli smells like dirty people to me.

I am going to add this my list of Things I Refuse To Believe Arenā€™t Spoofs Even When They Actually Exist. (Currently, the only other member of that list is ā€˜Broniesā€™.)

3 Likes

If they want to be more subtle about it, they should paint them to look like enormous cartoon shnozzes. In realistic flesh tones. It would make better pictures to look at online.

If itā€™s legal, itā€™s legal - these nitwits should sod right off with their smellometre. How exactly would this be employed in the field? Would cops even want to use it?

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder if this can detect the foul smell of faux compassionate conservatism?

[quote=ā€œgalaxies, post:27, topic:14488ā€]
This ā€˜lawā€™ is potently stupid. Neither weed nor its smoke smells bad. In fact iā€™m pretty sure a nonsmoker might find the smell of cured buds pleasing without knowing what the source is. Cigarette smoke on the other handā€¦[/quote]

That attitude will turn me from being a nonsmoker that would vote to legalize cannabis within reason, to someone that would be happy to continue the ban.

I donā€™t care if you smoke it, if you donā€™t bother me. That means not driving stoned or otherwise doing something while stoned that increases danger to me, and not putting me in a position to be confronted by your usage. If your stink affects me, then Iā€™ll be happy to look out for my interests.

Itā€™s the same sort of nuisance rules like having excessive amounts of animal feces that stinks up a yard, running powertools after a certain time of night, revving an engine excessively, or burning a wood fire that leaves the area smelling of soot. Unfortunately itā€™s been demonstrated that these laws are necessary as people have been inconsiderate to their neighbors, and this current subject is simply another example of why such rules are necessary.

Smoke all you want, just keep it to yourself.

2 Likes

1 Like

Skunk itself is a hybrid, and if you think pure sativas or indicas smell less, youā€™d be awfully surprised. Some smell like lemon, some like sandalwood, Iā€™ve grown sativas that smell like rocket fuel, alpine flowers, cat piss, and numerous fruits. Even the ones that donā€™t smell much, smell quite unmistakably like cannabis when burnt.

So your position is that itā€™s about the politics of the thing and not due to any actual actionable harm? If thatā€™s the case, I imagine it would have a hard time holding up in courtā€¦ unless someone can demonstrate actual harm.

Sounds like simple bad lawmaking to me. If a person wants or needs to keep chickens in their yard, they may be annoying and smelly, but you would be hard pressed to demonstrate actual harm. You canā€™t restrict a persons freedoms unless you demonstrate that their action causes harm to someone. The property value argument seems convenient at first but the burden is on the prosecution to prove that property values have been lowered by the chickens and the chicken owner can simply produce an expert of their own to argue otherwise. If there is ambiguity in the question of harm, the chicken coop owner comes out the winner.

Saying there is a smell you donā€™t like isnā€™t enough to take away the freedoms of others. That would be the height of narcissistic hubris.

I voted to legalize here in Colorado, but Iā€™m fine with this ordinance. If Iā€™m having a birthday party for a bunch of little kids, and my neighbors are sending a cloud of smoke over the fence, there should be some recourse. Personally, I would just go talk to a malodorous neighbor. I would like to live where people respect each other. But there is a category of self centered people around here who donā€™t understand common courtesy. For that, you need bizarre laws like this.

2 Likes