NASA's unbelievably sadistic coloring book

That site is hilarious. My favorite:

12 Likes

ive actually noticed this about “adult” coloring books. a LOT of them are trying to cash in on the trend and rather than commissioning new art that is meant to be colored with crayons or colored pencils they re-use line art from other projects - illustrations, comics, etc that have details that are way too small to really work. in this case it’s pretty obvious that they used a photoshop-like filter to find the outlines rather than having someone do it manually. it doesn’t even make sense in this case. some of the stars are so tiny there is no white space inside them…

4 Likes

Hm, brighter, I think, and less like healthy poop.

2 Likes

The picture is a little dark; the white balance on my fondleslab doesn’t meet professional standards.

1 Like

That’s way too hard. More my speed:

12 Likes

23 Likes

With your moniker, I’d bet you’d hope that.

1 Like

Doesn’t Crayola’s Ultimate Box Set include “Feces Brown”? Because “Feces Brown” alone would work perfectly.

1 Like

The Demolished Coloring Book

2 Likes

…a 100% of the time.

1 Like

Dark matter?

1 Like

Clearly some NASA summer intern was playing with a Photoshop filter when the boss walked by and said, “Thanks for designing our coloring books for us!”

2 Likes

Can someone identify the coloring book in question? I think it looks neat.

1 Like

There’s something “Deadpoolish” about this one.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up it was ending Rob, got there just with an hour left, to find out it was true- lunar lander I helped build as a subcontracted worker for Astrobotics here in Pittsburgh was in the exhibition just a few feet away from THE Apollo 11 Columbia lander.

Totally floored me, the shop I worked for last mostly made that model. Biggest honor I’ve ever gotten as a maker, so happy I went even for an hour

9 Likes

Wow! Any stories to share on this?

4 Likes

Yeah, i can see that being a lot of fun to color as long as i wasn’t trying to match the photo that inspired it.

1 Like

I don’t know that I can give away the name of the shop, but I used to work for the shop that was contracted by the main company that commissioned this, Astrobotics, I can say it was a small family-owned machine shop in the Pittsburgh area that mainly specialized in prototyping and small run parts.

I made a lot of the fasteners that hold the legs together on 2 WW2 era Hardinge toolroom lathes, jumping back and forth between them modifying parts at final assembly. The stanchions that are X braced small connectors to the main body I remember reaming out on an old Moore #2 jig borer, an obsolete class of machine for most things.

My shop made almost all of it, and we worked out waterjet cutting the main material the craft is made of- which is a special aluminum honeycomb core sheet, can’t remember the exact make, but its super stiff, yet very lightweight. We filled most of the exposed edges of the honeycomb with Bondo artfully and minimally, and trimmed over with aluminized tape so carefully the seams aren’t visible.

The feet- are actually modified hubcaps. The tanks are custom ordered foam cover with Mylar. We made custom pipe drills to core them out. The whole thing dissasembles into 4 pieces if I remember right for transport. Originally it was finished in 2017 for the Paris Airshow, with DHL as a sponsor.

I hope our work did the concept justice, Astrobotics people were really nice to work with. Lots of custom parts. I was just one of the smaller workers involved, but I was honored to help make it. Heres an anonymous picture of it being assembled, without any proprietary data I think, and no identifiers for shop or people.

8 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.