NASA's Voyager 1 completed tricky thruster swap at 38,000 mph to stay in touch with Earth

Originally published at: NASA's Voyager 1 completed tricky thruster swap at 38,000 mph to stay in touch with Earth - Boing Boing

13 Likes

Boeing Starliner Program Managers: “See? See?? Clogged thrusters happen all the time! Totally normal! What were you guys even complaining about?”

26 Likes

It never fails to blow my mind how resilient this ancient piece of technology has been. My hat’s off to the engineers who built this, and to the engineers of today that have managed to come up with all sort of creative mitigations and solutions over the years to keep it alive.

I bet whomever came up with the solution here is an ace at those water jug puzzles.

33 Likes

It’s amazing.

It’s truly heroic.

It’s also epic.

I’m sad that the wearing of hats is less common as we should all have a Voyager day and sweep our hats off in unison in genuine appreciation.

24 Likes

14 Likes

If this was a SpaceX craft, Musk would bill NASA $6 trillion dollars, and push a firmware update that cripples the spacecraft permanently, all while trying to get it to mine DOGEcoin.

13 Likes

Full space mining, we can do it ehmm now.

4 Likes

:rofl:
If he were to hold true to form, it would never arrive.

3 Likes

the golden phonograph record

‘Phonograph’- what quaint old term. But then this thing is over 50 years old! That fact alone, and that it is still working in some form, continues to amaze me.

(Also, I’d usually expect Pesco to be all over this Voyager stuff. Assumed it was a post from him until I saw ARH’s name on it.)

3 Likes

Against all the things you see people doing in the news, the deeds that get your blood boiling or make your heart break, the events that make you despair of the future…
Remember that Humanity does stuff like this, too.
Continue to fare well, Voyager.

17 Likes

15 BILLION light years away?!? How do they keep up contact enough to turn devices on & off remotely? This mind boggles.

3 Likes

With a lot of delay

5 Likes

tricky thruster swap

8 Likes

The tone! You have single handedly dragged it down.

Houses in this neighbourhood are losing value as we speak!

7 Likes

It’s only 16 billion miles, not light years. Still amazing.

5 Likes

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 17.19.09

That figures - it is far beyond the solar system, after all.

6 Likes

15 billion light years is roughly the radius of the observable universe. Voyager is considerably closer than that.

7 Likes

Space, eh; it’s deep…

2 Likes

Only? That comes out close to 24 hours at the speed of light for communication in one direction! Round trip time of 2 days is one heck of a latency factor.

4 Likes

And here I get upset with 100ms ping times. Waiting almost 2 days just to see if something worked must be excruciating.

They should really do something to speed those transmissions up, you know? Surely it can’t be that hard, right?

3 Likes