National anthems coded by subject matter

[Read the post]

Awesome how Sloveniaā€™s is about friendship. Moldova is about language which is pretty neat too.

11 Likes

I find it weird that there are three ā€œabout flagā€ anthems, and the most obvious one is the U.S., ā€¦ which is actually about the battle of Fort McHenry. Makes me question exactly how much thought was given to the way these were diced up.

6 Likes

Honestly iā€™d say most are a mix of at least two categories. Venezuela talks about the evil colonial Spaniards, but also mentions Venezuela itself and thereā€™s a fair bit of lyrics devoted to the law, justice and freedom. Iā€™d love to see a national anthem that attempts to hit all categories, just because.

I thought of that too, that the U.S. anthem is about both the battle and the flag; since itā€™s called ā€œThe Star Spangled Banner,ā€ though, I think itā€™s a fair categorization to put the anthem under ā€œflagā€ rather than ā€œbattle.ā€

2 Likes

The U.S. anthem may be about our flag, but listen to it while people sing along at a sporting event. Americans only know 13 words: ā€œOh, sayā€¦blah, blah blah blahā€¦blahā€¦blahā€¦AND THE ROCKETSā€™ RED GLARE, THE BOMBS BURSTING IN AIRā€¦gave blah blah blah, blahā€¦ā€ (As heard at the Stanley Cup and NBA finals, and at the Copa America.)

I swear, itā€™s the ā€œfive golden ringsā€ of anthems.

9 Likes

We had to learn the Irish national anthem in our primary school - in Irish:

(I can still remember most of the lyrics over 20 years after speaking Irish, so we must have sung it quite a bit)

Itā€™s satisfyingly anti-British, going on about fighting the ā€œtyrantā€ and the ā€œSaxon foeā€ (no offence Germany). Thereā€™s another, less militant anthem thatā€™s used at some sporting events though.

4 Likes

Sadly, it was not technologically possible to use both red and green in coloring the US on the map.

1 Like

Irelandā€™s Call is a combined anthem for the island, isnā€™t it? Isnā€™t the rugby side a combination of NI and Ireland?

Thatā€™s how it started, but itā€™s more widely used now. TBH, I left the same year it was written, so I was never familiar with it being used.

To whatever idiot put this map togetherā€¦

1 Like

Are any of them about other countries?

Slovakia here, letā€™s take a breather,
Just wanted to say Hungary is pretty neat,
They have a culinary tradition that everyone likes to eat,
Ours isnā€™t bad either

8 Likes

No colour for flowers?

Also: the Spanish anthem has no lyrics? Would I be right in guessing that after the restoration of the monarchy it was impossible to come up with lyrics that werenā€™t divisive between pro and anti Franco types?

2 Likes

So basically a song about country, itā€™s flag, friends, the language they speak and the battles they fought but with no words.

1 Like

The Swiss one is clearly wrong: thereā€™s no reference to a flag in any of the 4 official languages.

You can even see those teensy blips? I searched the map thoroughly and concluded there were no songs about friendship and language. Which is fine, except why are they included in the map key? There should be another color, maybe grey for songs about beef. There are none of those either.

Waitā€¦ Slovenia? Moldova? Just how powerful is your magnifying glass? I am stunned.

1 Like

Arenā€™t they referring to the anthem that was voted on in September 2015? I mean, your link references at least three anthems. Although not yet official, it does have a flag theme:

White Cross on red foundation
Our sign for the Confederation
Freedom, Independence, Peace
Let us be strong and united
That liberty enlightens us
Freedom for everybody
And all for equality
The Swiss Flag
Symbol of peace and unity.

The Dutch national anthem pledges fealty to Spain:

William of Nassau
am I, of Duytschen blood.
Loyal to the fatherland
I will remain until I die.
A prince of Orange
am I, free and fearless.
The king of Spain
I have always honoured.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a proposal for a new anthem, not the current one.

I thought I wrote that

?

1 Like