Texas lawmaker introduces bill chastising Texans for using the Chilean flag emoji

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/21/texas-lawmaker-introduces-bill.html

2 Likes

28 Likes

Your tax dollars at work bringing you another piece of useless legislation that will be debated, talked, discussed, revised, edited and finally voted on.

Just make Texas flag emoji and be done with it.

25 Likes

23 Likes

I guess we can use a different flag instead to troll this guy

31 Likes

which has its own identity crisis:

29 Likes

I imagine when all the worlds problems are solved, this is the sort of thing government will focus on all the time.

21 Likes

12 Likes

I think of it more as giving a kid a box of crayons to keep them busy. Let them debate this for weeks, hold special sessions, take fact finding trips to Chile to do research.

19 Likes
13 Likes

As a Texan:

33 Likes

“I think of it more as giving a kid a box of crayons to keep them busy. Let them debate this for weeks, hold special sessions, take fact finding trips to Chile to do research.”

And you’re okay with them spending hundreds of thousands of dollars doing this?

3 Likes

A bit like the issues with flag emoji confusing college football fans during the Olympics.

6 Likes

" La bandera de Tejas
que bonita esta . . ."

(thanks to Puerto Rico.)

4 Likes

When I hear “Keep Austin weird” this kind of stupidity is not usually what I think of.

15 Likes

A decade-ish ago, I remember a report of a Dallas(?) area school having to return an order of Chilean flags that had been purchased for every classroom.

Yes, most Texas classrooms have both a US and a Texan Flag.

Many Texas Class rooms pledge allegiance to the United States and follow up with a pledge to the Texas Flag.

Indoctrination is alive and well in the Lone Star State.

10 Likes

Yea, if they are spending time on this, they are not spending time on legislating uteruses, or bedroom activities, or bathroom use.

21 Likes

Easier said than done. I don’t think the Unicode Consortium cares that much about the flag of Texas.

5 Likes

Texas is just old school. It is a rather recent phenomenon where people don’t tend to think of the state first, and the nation second. It is one of the reasons our political system is set up the way it is.

1 Like

Or, adopt the Chilean flag as the flag of Texas. Problem solved!

17 Likes