Texas lawmakers considering a ban on 850 books. Here's the full list.

Originally published at: Texas lawmakers considering a ban on 850 books. Here's the full list. | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Better ban the Bible too. There is some messed up shit in there.

72 Likes

V For Vendetta? Lol Alan Moore would’ve worn that ban as a badge of honor if he wasn’t so detached from his old works.

31 Likes

Nothing says freedom like burning books on the old barbeque, right y’all?

31 Likes

contain material that might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish

Are they banning the Year Book?

54 Likes

material that might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex or convey that a student, by virtue of their race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously.

In other words, this is platform for anti-anti-racism.
Chef’s kiss to the “consciously or subconsciously.” Good luck trying to legislate the subconscious, Texas! (You’re already a nightmare, but cmon.)

Was perusing the list, look at these dangerous books:
Henry Louis Gates, Jr., And Still I Rise: Black America since MLK : an Illustrated Chronology
Ta-Nehisi Coates, We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy
John Irving, The Cider House Rules

25 Likes

This fascist asshole wants to be Attorney General of Texas. Nice little publicity stunt, & as well as a warning

To the surprise of no one, the fascist is a founding member of the House Freedom Caucus.
Oh, the irony!
I wonder where they got this list, since it is a sure bet these intellectual lightweights didn’t read word one of any of those books. They did pass a law banning CRT in schools.

I wonder how that translates in Russian, since it is only proper to refer to the fascist-dominated Texas Legislature as the Politboro.
Hmmm: ‘Комитет палаты представителей по общим расследованиям’… KNNOOP? KNOOP?

Or some of 'em, anyway.
Texas is a de-facto Fascist State; all that remains is for it to become a One Party State in reality so they can install fascist mayors and councils in all the big cities.

EDIT: formatting

19 Likes

From the party that brought you “FUCK YOUR FEELINGS”…

49 Likes

Looks like at least one book that might’ve lent some intellectual support to this lawmaker’s position got caught up in the fray: Cynical Theories: how activist scholarship made everything about race, gender and identity–and why this harms everybody.

But then again, reading such a book involves some level of engagement with the ideas he opposes. Or, y’know, engagement with any ideas at all that aren’t manufactured by the right-wing media ecosystem…

10 Likes

You know, hey…banned in schools.

Try to stop me from distributing books to kids outside of the school environment, suckas! :fu:

21 Likes

I’m banning Texass, Right Now!

17 Likes

Wanna bet that banning them from public libraries is already making it’s way through? To be followed by banning “possession of illicit materials” or some such bullshit. They are working very hard to institute full-on fascism ASAP, before the Dems wake up to the fact that their illusions of “can’t we all just get along” are just that.

Andrew Predator GIF by Australian Survivor

27 Likes

A state built on freedom and independence. Wants to ban “V”.
Unimaginable.

9 Likes

FTFY. Texans wanted slavery. Mexico did not.

32 Likes

Thank you.

4 Likes

asks the districts to identity any other books or content that may “address or contain” certain topics including:

human sexuality,

You beat me to it. Texas needs a campaign of right-minded citizens to mass-report the Bible as having many of those topics and features.

16 Likes

They didn’t have the communist manifesto in my school library so I had to steal it from a waldenbooks also fuck Gregg Abbott.

13 Likes

Please

which one of the two it was, the Party of Small Government? Of Personal Freedom? Of don’t stick your Nose in my Business? Of the Government is the Problem?
On the other hand, it’s real handy for recognizing fascists: they are always hankering for a nice book burnin’.
Or maybe they are afraid of a repeat of last winter, so they are looking to expand the inventory of burnable materials.

15 Likes

Man and here I thought they were against cancel culture.

20 Likes

Yep, yet again the fascists think they’ve got enough tools on their side to overturn the precedents set in prior cases. ‘The Supreme Court in Board of Education, Island Trees Union Free School District v. Pico (1982) ruled 5-4 that public schools can bar books that are “pervasively vulgar” or not right for the curriculum, but they cannot remove books “simply because they dislike the ideas contained in those books.” The Court’s decision was, however, narrow, applying only to the removal of books from school library shelves.’ Book Banning | The First Amendment Encyclopedia

I wonder, are they trying to set up a state so conservative that like-minded types will move there, and then declare themselves the New Confederacy? And surely any legislation actually passed must include a fast-track approval process for adding to the list, though probably no way to challenge or even remove one, I can’t imagine that being abused by everyone with an agenda once there’s a system in place. /s

Or maybe they’re just trying to bankrupt the ACLU, EFF, and similar liberal, pro-law organizations, create enough bad law and challenges to actual liberty that the organizations cannot keep up or even handle their existing case load. That I could see working. It’s pretty much what we have today anyway.
(edited for clarity and grammar)

8 Likes