England may finally choose its own national anthem

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I suppose that Flanders and Swann “Song of Patriotic Prejudice” doesn’t really fit the Zeitgeist:
Flanders & Swann Song of Patriotic Prejudice

5 Likes

Well, it’s a bit less of a dirge, at least. Get rid of the monarchist rubbish but keep the religious stuff?

I’d go with Vindaloo by Fat Les, though.

Perhaps Swing Low for the rugger buggers?

There’ll Always Be an England?
I Vow to Thee, My Country? (Although that’s about Britain, I think)

2 Likes

I see no need for a change.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Just use the Ankh-Morpork anthem “We Can Rule You Wholesale”.

8 Likes
3 Likes

[quote]I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant land
[/quote]
Horrible. Sounds like a hostile takeover.

3 Likes

Prefer Eric Idle’s version whilst with Monty Python’s Flying Circus. :slight_smile: (But I can’t find a clip to link.)

Surely we just stop loaning out the current anthem to our hangers-on…

1 Like

I’d love to hear this at the Olympics, we need more pep in anthems.

3 Likes

While it’s not my game obviously. And if Monty Python won’t make bright side public domain what could be wrong with Jerusalem? Sure it’s got God bothering but it’s a republican, revolutionary, anthem of free love and consciousness expansion.

As an aside I believe it is deprecated in the established church much to the chagrin of those “traditionalists” who don’t have much idea about what Blake stood for.

1 Like

And, of course, it’s useful in case someone says “mattress” https://youtu.be/rGEeLtqtNvU

1 Like

edit - beaten by @CLamb!

Nothing wrong with a little monty python spam though

3 Likes

You know what Old Jack Burton would say like at a time like this?

Ain’t no song lyrics that express my deep appreciation for the English Royal Family quite like Eric Johnson’s Cliffs of Dover.

2 Likes

It’s also not easy to sing. Why go to the trouble of picking an anthem deliberately this late in the game if your going to pick something that will always sound out of tune whenever a group sings it?

Like, if we had it to do over again now, would we really pick the Star Spangled Banner?

3 Likes

For some inexplicable reason Australia picked Advance Australia Fair over Waltzing Matilda when they had the chance, so there’s no accounting for taste.

2 Likes