National Response Center: now THAT's a logo

You suppose that’s Mick Shrimpton, or Peter “James” Bond?

1 Like

An oscilloscope exploding with the force of a thousand suns?

2 Likes

Also: It would be a real shame if ten thousand or so people called the number at the bottom of the logo to report that they were out of weed, or their Tombstone pizza got burnt, or the battery was low on their TV remote.

End of year kernings continue to plummet.

5 Likes

Apparently they are determined to keep botanical research and human experimentation apart. (#4/8:00)

For all its glory, I’m not sure that this actually is a logo. It’s neither the name of the organisation - optionally rendered in some display font or geometry, nor a recognisable symbol which could settle an the public mind as ‘yeah, that’s them’ (discounting all the text bits as mere graphic atoims). Just doesn’t sit right, calling it a logo. A badge maybe.

EDIT - on further thought, I think it’s the phone number. You can’t really put the phone number - or even all your constituent ‘departments’ - in a logo. They’re all subject to change. The middle hexagon septet + NRC in map, that’s fine. but the rest - naaah.

1 Like

The NRC is real, it is US Coast Guard organization that pre-911 was a single point of contact for oil spills and haz-mat incidents. It has personal and resources for logging the minor incidents and sending trained responders to major incidents. Since 911 is has been invaded by a bunch of DHS all hazards mumbo jumbo but it’s the still the 1-800 number we’re legally required to call if we spill oil pretty much anywhere in a US state or territory.

2 Likes

Happy Fun Ball meltdown.

4 Likes

It is pieced together from the Global Harmonized System which is more or less replacing what people now know as the MSDS. Now I don’t know what the thing at 9 o’clock is, but this is the standard 9 symbols that are part of the GHS.

1 Like

I do not doubt the existence of the NRC. My contention is that having to change your logo merely because you change your phone number means that what you’re having to change merely because you changed your phone number probably ought not to be called a logo.

Having said that …

This suggests to me that the 1-800 number whereof you speak - with all its beheld reverence, familiarity and implied permanence - might actually be a better logo for the NRC.

Too subtle. Needs more fonts.

1 Like

That displays a mastery of understatement.

Alternatively, their logo needs to be bigger.

It’s the logo that says, “When you need help, we will send a bunch of people to argue about who’s in charge here.” Acronymageddon.

6 Likes

for the 9 o’clock symbol, I’m partial to “pepsi dawn” from upthread, but I suspect it’s actually meant to represent electrical hazards. If you’re attacked by DC voltage with big spikes coming out of it, you’re on your own though

1 Like

It’s a seal, I think, not a logo.

1 Like

So if you see this on a stone door in a subterranean vault, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR.

9 Likes

That one is dangerous chemicals from test tubes. Splashing off one thing (microscope slide???) and eating a hole in your hand for the other. Have to puzzle at it a while to work it out, but it’s there, anyway. The irradiated pepsi symbol is still mysterious to me though: I’m sure it’s not a standard electrical hazard sign and of course they have the standard radiation hazard icon.

What, no link for the Etsy shop selling miniskirts with this design printed on them?

4 Likes

The circular setup here also screams that this was made for a challenge coin, which is a DHS favorite. I think 9 o’clock is when the Pepsi Challenge goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Well, first of all it should be awesome, but of course you knew that. Anyway. It should look awesome and it have skulls and shit. And should list all the names of the agencies.

Also, a map. No, I think we can leave out the Alaskan and Hawaii territories. Just the 48 states. We need a phone number. No, I suppose it doesn’t need to be that large. Not even large enough to read. Just something that lets people know that we’re technologically with it to have our very own toll free number.

The biohazard people want their logo to be in orange, but us cool people will stick with black. Black is still cool, right?

Also, we’re a hive of activity, so maybe hexes-- like … a beehive. Right, yellow hexes for the bee hive. Shoot, the map looks kind of small if it’s constrained by the hex in the center. Maybe make it a bit larger? Just a tad-- we don’t want to constrain the good old United States. Is there room for a flag? No?

Shoot. We need some red white and blue somewhere. I DON"T KNOW WHERE. You’re the graphics designer. You figure it out!

6 Likes