National Rifle Association files for bankruptcy, NRA will legally move from New York to Texas

36 Likes
6 Likes

Are they saying NY is corrupt for targeting the NRA’s corruption? How Trumpian.

@Mr.Mofo thank you for joining the discussion and relating your experience.

16 Likes

I always liked the SNL version (can’t figure out how to embed):

4 Likes

Not only that, but their statement says that despite filing for bankruptcy, they’re in a super great financial position, which… is not how bankruptcy works and/or also seems like a lie based on everything that happened to them last year?

15 Likes

Welcome to this BBS.

In all fairness, the NRA never represented the interests of responsible law abiding gun owners or any sane iteration of the 2nd Amendment. They represented gun manufacturers and existed to promote gun buying, hoarding and interstate smuggling.

21 Likes

I wouldn’t say “never.” The NRA was established in 1871 and for the first century of the organization’s existence they were all in favor of gun safety and regulation. They didn’t morph into the radical gun rights absolutist lobbying group we know today until around 1975.

24 Likes

Obligatory “The Simpsons” reference:

0C9CC522-76A1-4226-91E1-309BB827B94D

9 Likes

They were founded to keep guns out of the hands of black people. Gun safety and regulation being a cover for limiting access to guns to people who could fight back against white supremacist terrorism.

They reversed around 1975 when playing on suburban white people fears meant greater gun sales. They totally lost it with the dramatic increase in availability of cheap assault rifles after the fall of the USSR.

They opposed ATF gun ownership data collection meaning the NRA tacitly supported illegal gun smuggling.

10 Likes

That made me laugh before I suddenly felt very old.

3 Likes

New York’s gain is our loss. But much as I envy them, I can’t blame them.

3 Likes

That’s not quite true. The NRA was founded by former Union soldiers, which was the side that actively armed Black people. It started as an organization to improve marksmanship.

They were definitely a lot less keen about the idea of Black people carrying guns in ensuing decades though, especially when the Black Panthers started doing it.

23 Likes

And firearms safety. But that NRA is long gone. Anyone still supporting them is either naive or a white supremacist or both.

18 Likes

With the Wind, as it were.

16 Likes

Nice. :smirk:

8 Likes

(blinks) They were in New York?

2 Likes

Again, you have to remember the NRA was originally formed to address the perception that Union soldiers hadn’t done a good enough job at shooting people who fought for the Confederacy. In that context it would have been pretty awkward for them to incorporate in Texas.

12 Likes

I grew up with NRA sticker on the windows; and the NRA mags on the tables. Tables. Coffee table, dinner table, kitchen table; NRA all over the place.
The bad people are coming for YOU. The NRA will protect, and defend your guns, and your right to them!
The NRA will always be there!

Right up until a person actually calls them for help. Oh uh uh oh, uh, blah blah blah, blah.

Ring ring; “Hello, donate?” Pfffff. Nope.

9 Likes

Same lying POS, different address.

5 Likes

Nah. They still have trademarks on Naked Racist Aggression and Nasty Raging Ars**oles

4 Likes