National Rifle Association files for bankruptcy, NRA will legally move from New York to Texas

No. No, they really weren’t. They were originally founded to teach marksmanship and related skills. For the first close to a century that’s mostly what they did. They helped craft all the early gun control legislation from the 1934 National Firearms Act and the Mulford Act and the GCA of 1968. They really turned the corner in the late 60s to mid 70s. Hell, they even used to be against concealed carry for everyone including white people

11 Likes

Not quite, that is a revisionist take.

3 Likes

Marksmanship and related skills for white people to enforce social order. Gun control laws designed to keep guns out of the hands of minorities and immigrants.

They turned the corner at the height of “white flight” and the attendant urban decay. When white fears of urban violence promoted increases in gun sales among they crowd.

2 Likes

That’s not what I meant, I meant that the Union enlisted Black people to fight in the war so they weren’t fundamentally opposed to the idea of Black people carrying guns.

I don’t believe for a second that the NRA was founded with the protection of Black people in mind. That part is indeed revisionist nonsense.

13 Likes

That makes sense.

2 Likes

No, no, this is bad news. If their bankruptcy filing is successful, they will be able to carry on as usual without having to repay a lot of debts. And the move to Texas means they’ll have less oversight than ever before. We want for the NRA to disband, not get a makeover to turn into an “NPO.”

6 Likes

The corrupt State of New York made them do that.

4 Likes

Wayne don’t even shoot, bro.

3 Likes

They shoot horses don’t they?

2 Likes

I dunno about this, is it possible to get a decent bowl of borscht in Texas?

4 Likes

“I thought Mariia Buttina loved me”
-several members of NRA leadership

“The NRA are too corrupt for me”
-Ollie North

8 Likes

sounds like this happens to you a lot

12 Likes

The NRA claimed in announcing the move that it was “in its strongest financial condition in years”, as it filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in a Dallas federal court.

Lolwut?

9 Likes

I got to shoot an Uzi on full auto a few days after new years last year. It was the only good memory I have of that year.

(before you ask- completely legal but rare situation of a gunsmith friend who had a preban uzi legally and a private range classed for full auto fire)

2 Likes

“Leading gun rights lobbying group National Rifle Association is restructure as a Texas nonprofit to exit a “corrupt political and regulatory environment in New York.””

So, NY wanted them to pay taxes. Texas will not insist on that. The NRA is not out of money and isn’t going away. It’s literally becoming a religion to avoid taxes, and the only ones losing money will be their creditors, just like all of Trump’s former business ventures.

No less lobbying/bribery, no less fund-raising for the next coup. Just a legal move.

6 Likes

Sorry, but you’re wrong on the facts. They weren’t founded to keep guns away from Black people. For most of their early existence they really were focused on gun handling, basic skills, competitions, and the rest. And, as I said, they were against promiscuous gun-carrying and for a lot of across-the-board restrictions on all civilians. You have fixed on one idea that is false-to-fact and become obsessed with it to the point where you deny even simple matters of historical record with Republican-like consistency. I hope you find your way out of that blind spot.

If you move far enough Left you get your guns back “Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary”

7 Likes

There’s another reason this NRA situation is bad news, unfortunately. Their former membership base is radicalizing and leaving because (seriously) the NRA is too soft on gun rights. This podcast series about the modern gun movement in America is very sobering:

14 Likes

Sad but true. Old fashioned proto-fascist conservatism doesn’t give today’s radical Qcumbers the murder-boner they crave. Even GOA isn’t hardcore enough for them.

6 Likes

Is it just me, or is there something “domestic violence victim-y” about the relationship between La Pierre and the members of the NRA. He fleeces the organization and abuses it and when people call him on it, most of the members defend him. Instead of being angry that their membership money is going to support his lavish lifestyle, they angrily defend him.

That seems pretty close to the mark. Because the flock loving and defending the person grifting them resembles one of those “send money” charismatic churches a LOT. As does Trump, which might explain why evangelicals support him.

9 Likes

Is the NRA possibly the last organisation listening to Trump - he told them to do this last year:

Maybe they can fold the decaying carcasses of the NRA and the Trump Organisation into the same bankruptcy?

4 Likes