NBC fires Matt Lauer over "inappropriate sexual behavior"

are the reruns that much of a “cash cow”, though?

1 Like

I don’t know, but Prairie Home Companion is what they’re known for and is by far their most popular show.

For them to cancel all reruns, completely dump the brand, and rename the show is an extremely huge move for that station.

2 Likes

Yet, having grown up in the Twin Cities as PHC was gaining a national audience, this move is just sooooo Minnesotan. The message, locally, will be heard as “OMG! We’re terribly mortified to learn of this awful thing.” And it won’t matter if the HR department has known for decades, the local big donors will be placated.

1 Like

I don’t blame NPR for that. They really want to be able to claim journalistic integrity in this current climate of fake news and tilted news. And we actually NEED that. They need to clamp down on anything like this, and be shown to be responsive to the public mood, if they wish to keep that integrity intact.

When the head editor was accused, they had the president on ATC, and the interviewer (Mary Louis Kelly maybe) tore him a new one kind of. That impressed me, that she’d hold her bosses feet to the fire on these issues.

5 Likes

I don’t blame them, I am just surprised given the very long run of the show and how, even though Garrison was a principle on the show, there were many others and he was replaceable.

A similar analogy would be if they nuked the Today show over Matt Lauer.

Toddlers?

Have you noticed that some news-anchor guys seem a bit nervous talking about this stuff?

I find some irreverent humor a helpful coping mechanism for awful news, FWIW.

1 Like

I’ve always listened to his show in low doses simply because there’s nothing else on the radio like it. I do admit that his cadence can be irritating. I’ve always been confused by his accent. He’s from Minnesota but doesn’t sound like someone from Minnesota. Instead it sounds like a William Buckley, mid-Atlantic thing.

1 Like

Haven’t we been taught to give it a couple of days before claiming it’s only one?

1 Like

Another case where a woman said in an interview a powerful man assaulter her. Maybe we’ll start to listen.

I’m not saying it’s only one. I’m saying it was only one when they fired him.

Celebrities are profit centers. They must have had a damn good reason to throw away however much money he brings in. It sounds like more are coming forward now, which isn’t too surprising. Maybe the network knew about the others, and lied to us. Who knows?

My assumption, and it seems to be proving true, that in all of these cases, they have good evidence there are others. I think I’m on the 5th one now that I thought might have just been one misunderstand and I thing it might be premature only to find out there are plenty others.

It must be that it’s known there are more even if they’re not read6 to make it known. It might be worse on a company if they do fire someone over 1 allegation and it proves to be false.

That’s a good point. Also, it’s possible there are cases where it’s just a misunderstanding, but those cases don’t end up on the front page.

1 Like

In earlier years I did listen to a few segments. The material itself was often interesting. But to me his voice sounds, whether it is or not, like artifice, and unpleasant to my ear at that. Buckley, who was a pseudo-intellectual jackass to be certain, seemed to have affected his accent as well, but it was merely ridiculous, not grating on my ear. This is very much to do with my almost allergeic reaction to ASMR sounds and very little to do with any objective evaluation of anyone’s accent or speaking cadence.

It’s quite a bit different in that Jordan hasn’t been on the job for decades and TYT gave him a chance to resign.

Yes.

I’m not throwing any shade at TYT here; their response is notably better than that of any of the establishment media.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.