NBC fires Matt Lauer over "inappropriate sexual behavior"

Because NBC wants America to be as uncomfortable as they are at their own corporate holiday party

1 Like

4 Likes

You’re probably right. I felt a little gross posting both of those comments.

4 Likes

Dumb movie, to be sure, but something has always rung too true with those scenes.

I mean I know it wasn’t ill-meant, but that’s partly because I know you and most of the regulars here have ethical values and priorities. I’m partly thinking about how it might come across to lurkers and passers-by. That said, I don’t want to be a kill-joy and I don’t want you or anyone else to think I’m judging you or your sense of humor. I also know some times jokes can come easier when we’re riffing off each other. I’m sure I’ve said things I might not have said, and made jokes I might not have made, because the community was doing it or I was quick to say something before reflecting on it.

4 Likes

I’m glad you called it out. I was serious. I had a twinge of doubt when posting both of those.

4 Likes

The Keillor thing is weird.

He claims that the entire complaint is around a “hand slip” incident in which he meant to pat a woman on the back but somehow his hand went up her skirt (??) and that he apologized profusely at the time; he also says that he’s the real victim as female fans keep trying to sexually assault him.

Whatever he actually did, MPR didn’t just fire him, they cancelled his show, cancelled all rebroadcasts of Prairie Home Companion, dumped their entire ownership of the PHC brand, and are renaming the show. They’re distancing themselves completely from the show that makes them most of their money, which I don’t think they’d do for something minor or debatable.

7 Likes

She must be 9 feet tall.

7 Likes

I know of more than one woman who worked at doing that. Only they did so in a “friendly” nature. Not in a position of power over someone. I mean, they were wrong headed about it, but I guess some people saw them as the perfect catch, except for one thing. At least one of the guys figure out he’s at least a little bi in some circumstances.

Holy shit - that’s like a scorched Earth policy! Wow. Color me surprised.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t go quite that far. I was a huge fan, but once a friend pointed out how…I’ll say “pervy” for lack of a better term… many of his artist intros and “News from Lake Woebegone” bits got, I couldn’t ever un-hear it. Kind of ruined the listening enjoyment for me.

2 Likes

Hopefully it will be a massive cleaning of the house on the left, and we’ll end up with a lot more competent, non-sexual-predators getting their chance to shine. Hopefully.

5 Likes

Maybe you do, but please not on this topic. I think we’ve been too lightened up for too long. That’s why this current rash of accusations coming to light can feel like a crazy witch hunt to some - they honestly have no idea how pervasive this behavior is.
And it’s unfair to think that all women will stand up against this, or vote against candidates with histories of sexual harassment. So many of us were conditioned, just like the men, to think this was just the way things were. Please, for your daughters and sisters and aunts and all the other women out there, don’t lighten up.

3 Likes

More to come, I’m sure.

On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his 

office,
and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee
declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not
engaging in a sexual act.

2 Likes

Holy shit, Variety just published the detailed story and it’s really fucking bad.

Like, had a button on his desk that locked the door to his office bad.

5 Likes

Not only that, but there’s also the implicit fact that people have been hurt. A dead pool, while morbid, is still about something inevitable. Everybody dies, for one reason or another. But betting on “who’s next to fall” carries the implication that you’re waiting for more victims and making a sport of their pain. Which, no. If you’re doing that, you’re not helping or an ally, you’re part of the problem.

4 Likes

I was neutral on Garrison Keillor as a person for a long time, but I always changed the station when PHC came on because I cannot stand his breathy droning slurring together of every word; I realize that’s a matter of taste and for many it’s a selling point. I don’t know if it’s an affectation or his natural speaking cadence, but it drives me nuts. That said, I was soured on him as a person only when he revealed his casual homophobia by stereotyping gay parents. He also seems like bad parody of a bougy upper-Midwesterner.

4 Likes

I remember having a discussion about him with my stepmom around the time of Ann Curry’s termination.
I was Team Curry, and had always had this gut feeling he was kind of patronizing toward women. Mom was Team Lauer, and is probably today as “shocked and disappointed” as Savannah and Kathie Lee.

2 Likes

Co-host Savannah Guthrie announced the firing on-air, flanked by Hoda Kotb.

Doesn’t flanking require at least two people? I thought “flanking” meant surrounding somebody or something.

Imagine, for instance, that Hoda Kotb is pretending to be the Carthaginian elephant brigade, and Savannah Guthrie is a Roman cavalry. (Fixing, presumably, to bust out in song, in Latin, in unison. But I digress.) If Hoda is (without loss of generality) on Savannah’s left side, Savannah is free to wheel to the right. Only if the Carthaginians attack both sides can those Roman dogs be defeated!

Wait, what were we talking about?

You know what? I withdraw the objection.

1 Like

Matt Lauer is not anywhere near “the left”.

The actual left also appears to be cleaning house, though:

6 Likes