NBCUniversal accused of damaging LA city trees to deprive strikers of shade while picketing

Originally published at: NBCUniversal accused of damaging LA city trees to deprive strikers of shade while picketing | Boing Boing

7 Likes

So is there any evidence that they actually did so in previous years?

Waiting GIF

23 Likes

Let’s take them at their word. After all, there’s nothing corporations love more than spending shareholder money to maintain public property. /s

Seriously, the absurd moustache-twirling of the studio heads continues apace. The picketers should avoid railroad tracks lest they find themselves tied down to them.

28 Likes

You would think in this age of cell phones and mass surveillance, that would be relatively trivial to verify.

15 Likes

Without the required permit? They’re not going to be licensed for much longer I would imagine.

27 Likes

Too many leeches at the top. Time for creators to bypass the big studio system. Form cooperatives. Let the media moguls fester and watch their empires dry up.

5 Likes

Assuming this is the place, you can see them on streetview. There are also past photos going back several years.

15 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu49N9dqpAj/

22 Likes

This also seems to be a not entirely unprecedented tactic to deal with people you don’t like. The city of Lakewood, NJ, last year removed a bunch of shade trees in the town square to discourage unhoused people from hanging out there.

13 Likes

Yep. I see the tree on her sign. If the execs really did cut the trees out of shortsighted spitefulness, the backlash, in the form of increased motivation among those on strike, is delicious.

13 Likes

If I did anything to the town’s tree, on town property, bordering the street, I’d catch hell if caught. Plus, any reputable tree company would say “Sorry, we can’t do anything without the town’s approval in writing.”

13 Likes

Tree law!!

10 Likes

Now that’s Ent-ertainment!

13 Likes

Don’t let the Orcs grind you down!

ents GIF

13 Likes

The fine should be similar.

12 Likes

That’s what I keep thinking. There are people involved who potentially have seed money for new director- or actor-owned ventures. It’s a big ask, though, and a very slow process. But definitely a direction to consider no matter how negotiations go.

8 Likes

Boo! But also YES!

The dad joke is strong with you.

10 Likes

Very much THIS! Who are these ‘cowboy’ arborists?

8 Likes

So movie execs didn’t twig that taking a leaf from the late-stage capitalist playbook, branching out into sidewalk management, would sap their finances when the fines come in. I think I know who we are all rooting for here.

11 Likes

More shady business from Hollywood studios?

Who’d a thunk it?

17 Likes