Neanderthal dental DNA shows us the true paleo diet (we've got it a bit wrong)

The last paragraph you cite shows the problem of trying to shoehorn a pre-DNA concept - species - into a post-DNA world, which I alluded to in my post.

One of the things that interests me in the sociology of science - there is such a thing but I am not suggesting relativism - is the way religious prejudices prevent objective analysis of evidence. Galileo is a good example. The religious idea of human exclusivity has been very powerful - persuading psychologists to minimise chimpanzee and gorilla use of language, and constantly searching for structures in the brain which make humans unique. The fact is that tool making and even raft building long predated modern man.
Interbreeding between sapiens and neanderthalensis may have been rare and difficult but the evidence is that it happened, and that the popular idea of them as some kind of “ape-men” is utterly wrong. It was the suggestion in the original post that homo and neanderthal had very different DNA to which I was objecting.

6 Likes

In fact for a population that was well surveyed and was rural (Lake District in the late 19th century) once infant mortality was past, life expectancy was around 60-62. Bismarck set the original German pensionable age at, I believe, 64, because this was the age at which mortality rates started to rise very rapidly.

2 Likes

You mean high infant mortality rates.

5 Likes

Yup. Mine too. Which is why I’m having some faintly suspicious sausages no one else will touch from the back of the fridge for breakfast. I’ll happily eat floor food as well, so long as the baby doesn’t get it first.

2 Likes

Homo Donaldis.

1 Like

Yeah… without selective breeding and Neolithic agriculture, the odds that meat was on the menu every day or even most days is slim to none. These people didn’t keep livestock.

Hunting is fucking hard and energy intensive. Humans mainly got their meat from cadavers left behind by predators. What early humans ate isn’t that much of a mystery because their options were constrained.

2 Likes

Subjecting the hard sciences to examination by the social sciences? Ooooh, that’d be a :popcorn: thread if I ever saw one…

2 Likes

Not the hard sciences (as I said, I personally reject relativism) but scientists and their relations with the rest of society. It’s a big subject but, as we see with climate change, important.

Astronomy (is Pluto a planet? Canals on Mars?) is an example of a subject where social and psychological effects are important, and I doubt anybody would seriously argue against that.

1 Like

For example, the fact that homo sapiens and Neanderthals interbred, probably mostly on weekends.

8 Likes

For some populations. Like lactose tolerance, there is a genetic predisposition to alcohol tolerance that varies in different parts of the world. Native Americans would be a good example of not being able to make good dietary use out of either cow’s milk or alcohol, which comes from being distantly descended from East Asians (ditto) and then even further removed geographically from those dietary staples for thousands of years.

5 Likes

That’s true, and I often feel frustrated with life expectancy statistics because they don’t really represent what’s happening. However, in this case they do a great job showing us that things weren’t so great back then. The supposedly salutary effects of their outdoor lifestyle and primitive diet weren’t getting the job done.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. I was a sociology major myself and think this is a great idea. I was referencing how angry it makes a lot of lab scientists/engineers on the bbs that psychology, sociology, et al are called social sciences

3 Likes

yes i do.

Eat the rich.

4 Likes

We are believed to have what is, in evolutionary terms, a recent common ancestor. Wolves and dogs, cats and lions, can get by quite happily on similar diets.

It’s a varied field; there’s plenty of rigorous and useful examination of the influence of social factors on science and vice-versa, but there’s also a mountain of extreme PoMo bullshit (Barnes & Bloor, Latour, etc.).

It’s touched on in this thread:

2 Likes

I like the way you think.

5 Likes

Yeah, I hate lettuce, too.

(I kid. I agree with your post. But yeah, lettuce)

4 Likes

The main problem with eating paleo is that “paleo” is a prefix - and one cannot eat a fucking prefix.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.