Nearly 1000 Peel Sessions now available online

I had to look it up :slight_smile: Apparently, they didn’t start calling themselves “The Bad Seeds” until a few months later. I still need to dig into the multiple Birthday Party shows on that list. I feel certain they’re wild…

1 Like

One of the less well known bands in there are the Humblebums, better known as Billy Connolly (before he focused on his comedy career) and Gerry Rafferty.

3 Likes

Like the Velvet Underground, some Can songs are more melodic than others, so prepare for yourself for more experimental, less accessible, tracks, as well.

1 Like

Well, I know what I’ll be listening to for the next few weeks.

One that jumped out at me right away was Frankie Goes To Hollywood. I always wondered what they sounded like before Trevor Horn & ZTT got a hold of them.

I’m good with that.

Seems to be a local issue. When I use a VPN endpoint in the US I can listen to them, too. In Germany I get “video unavailable” for all three.

1 Like

I remember recording that Orbital “last ever” gig off the radio, much as both my mum and dad did when they were the same age. He brought our whole family together.
The Orbital session was only about a month or so before John died, so I’ve kept a copy around for when I need a bit of melancholy.
One of my favourite Peel moments, (apart from waiting for him to play a record at the wrong speed ;), was when he was broadcasting from his home, and he’d introduce a record and then add “and if anyone is listening in the kitchen, Dad would like another glass of wine”.

At least the BBC took the idea “what if John Peel, but all day”, and turned it into a radio station, BBC 6Music.

1 Like

I’m in the U.S. and got “Video Unavailable” for some of the links. But when I searched YouTube for the unique part of the URL (like Gk7F07Q4EiA), I found the video and it played.

But not really. It’s more the nostalgic memory of John Peel rather than the reality. John would have complained about there being too many white boys with guitars, as he sometimes did during the last 20 years of his show.

I can’t remember 6Music playing gabber or speedcore. Maybe they did at one point, but i don’t remember it. Kutski did play hardcore on Radio One sometimes, but that was much later and he didn’t have anywhere near the musical variation of John Peel.

I remember John Peel playing this on his show once

I think that was the only time I heard Loftgroover on national radio. The John Peel Wiki says it was the 3rd November 1996, and that he also played something by Neurotek as well.

And now I’m mentally back at Judgement Day at the Newcastle University Student Union.

2 Likes

Many sessions were released by the artist’s labels, rather than the Peel Sessions label or the Strange Fruit label.

Warp, for example, released Peel sessions by Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Plaid, LFO and so on. The first Autechre session contains the best Autechre track ever. Warp boss Steve Becket agrees with me.

1 Like

Already have a HUGE smile on my face! Thanks for that incredible treasure trove!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.