Nearly $440 million in cocaine found floating in the sea

Perhaps the Italian authorities were really old school - 450 Billion Italian Lira would have been equal to $230M to $250M US back around the turn of the century when the changeover to the Euro took place.

5 Likes

Even if it doesn’t show up directly one would think the Colombians who make all that money selling cocaine would be spending an awful lot of it inside the country.

7 Likes

Yes, in their annual RGDP. Really Gross Domestic Product

4 Likes

It’s just a line item on a spreadsheet.

10 Likes

COCAINE SHARK!!!

17 Likes

I so hope everyone got that. It would be a waste.

7 Likes

Tagline: “He’s coked to the gills!”

10 Likes

Just looking at it…

Miami Vice 80S GIF

7 Likes

Anyone got a mirror?

7 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger mirror!

13 Likes

I presume that, like oligarchs, Cocaine Barons do not take much part in the local economy; preferring to ship their wealth offshore.

5 Likes

Good Flipper. Bad Flipper

Brian Regan - Flipper & Gentle Ben | VMP - YouTube

3 Likes

Not me. I’m a vampire.

6 Likes

I mean, it would be hard not to have much impact on the local economy even if they weren’t interested in helping the country as a whole. Someone’s got to help build those giant mansions and feed the hippos and maintain the fleet of fancy sports cars. Not to mention all the people who work for the cocaine barons harvesting and refining the coca plants or working security, those folks sure aren’t putting their money in offshore accounts.

If you were able to yank hundreds of billions of dollars worth of product out of Colombia’s economy all at once then it would have some serious economic repercussions.

8 Likes

The headline on the linked article says million not billion.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Let’s punch up that line item for the news media and describe it as “Shadow Gross Domestic Product.”

3 Likes

From Superman III

8 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes…

2 Likes

The Incredibles Cape GIF

7 Likes