Nearly two thirds of Americans think President Trump is a criminal

Totally, that’s why more people need to vote.

7 Likes

I don’t think that is the real reason. That is a convenient excuse. The moderates that I know wear ripped jeans, own cool coffee shops and hip bars, oh and come from old money. From the pattern of what they praise and condemn I see people that want to look cool and punk rock and would like to see everyone treated compassionately, just so long as no policy fucks with the family money.

As soon as the conversation swings from people rights to fiscal issues, they go full Hyde. Any progressive ideas on fiscal issues will destroy the world, they say. Need to go slow, they say. We can’t just do the right thing now, we need to do the bad way for as loooooong as possible until maybe people forget… Come on interest go go go.

A bar owner I know, complained to me one late night after closing. He said you stash an extra million dollars out of the way. You forget about it. A few years later you remember about that extra money. You check in on it, and now it’s 5 million, and think fuck, what do I do with this now. That he explained is the big problem with having money. And yet, raising the minimum wage, will destroy his businesses and be bad for poor people, he insists.

20 Likes

He was calling the 2016 election rigged in the last couple of days before the vote. The win came as a surprise to him as much as anyone else. It completely wrecked so many carefully prepared opposition plans. They were going to impeach Hillary over Benghazi or at least hold so many hearings on it that nothing else could possibly get done, but then suddenly she’s a non factor and the name Benghazi disappears from Fox News practically overnight.

17 Likes

I will also be disappointed if we nominate a 3rd way milquetoast Democrat who wants to appeal more to Trump voters than motivating the base. But if that’s the situation in which we find ourselves, I’m still going to support and vote for that 3rd way milquetoast Democrat as if the future of our country depends on it, because it does.

13 Likes

For Ubisoft, it’s just a brand name. They purchased the use of Clancy’s name “for an undisclosed sum” in 2008.
So, watch out for Tom Clancy’s Raving Rabbids!

6 Likes

You mean the undead dog from that Tim Burton movie?

12 Likes

I agree. As I have already commented on another thread

My political position is roughly Communalism. I am not going to get that from any candidate in any party (I think Vermin Supreme is the closest, and he won’t win) so I will have to compromise when I support someone. That said, there are three critical issues that I think need to be dealt with which are so entangled that they all have to be fought at once

1. Climate change / environmental damage
  2. The rise of the far right / attacks on civil rights
  3. Increasing economic inequality

I will support any candidate who will actually do something to stop all three. Third way liberalism has already failed to fight these issues and I have little expectation that they will change.

If the election is between a third way Democrat and Trump then obviously vote for the Democrat.
However, once they are elected they will need to be fought every day for the next four years.

14 Likes

Annnd if two thirds of Americans think that Democrat is a criminal?

VOTE FOR THAT DEMOCRAT ANYWAY! Right?

2 Likes

So many people have a hard time accepting this, and on some level he probably couldn’t imagine he’d lose, but he certainly never conducted himself like someone who really expected to win. No transition team to speak of, no effort to step back from his private businesses, not even a thought toward where his own wife and child would live. Even during the debates he was talking about how he was building a Trump Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue so he’d end up there “one way or another.”

10 Likes

If I think the Democrat committed substantially fewer crimes than Trump, sure.

15 Likes

So far even the worst democrats running are better than Trump. The important thing for me is that voting is just the start of the political action for the following four years.

The big bold text is because I know that if I didn’t do that someone will claim that I’m saying that people shouldn’t vote for candidate ‘X’. I still expect that to happen to be honest, but at least I tried to make it clear.

14 Likes

LOL Agreed! And trump would play up the “I am a better criminal!” angle for sure.

10 Likes

It’s weird, because it’s not like they’ve been coy about it; this isn’t some loony-left conspiracy theory. Right after the inauguration, Trump’s then-chief-advisor, Steve Bannon, was quite genial and up-front at the CPAC conference about the Trump administration’s goal to staff his cabinet with people whose job it would be to ‘deconstruct’ the entire government and tear down the existing administration to destroy the country and rebuild it as an ultra-conservative military state. Who needs QAnon when Trump’s own people are loudly broadcasting their fascist intent on a public stage?

17 Likes

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

19 Likes

Very likely, yes. If Trump could be swapped out for a more regular criminal who was capable of shame and who would eventually resign when faced with a mountain of evidence of their wrongdoing that would be a big improvement for America.

14 Likes

Okay, then it’s Zombie Tom Clancy who’s trying to cash in.

Ever notice how corporate buy-out of an artist’s name, works, and image are coming to resemble a genuine expression of zombie-ism? Zombie Tom Clancy is indeed trying to eat your brain… from the inside out.

3 Likes

Interesting number two thirds:

“By 2040, two-thirds of Americans will be represented by 30 percent of the Senate”

“David Birdsell, dean of the school of public and international affairs at Baruch College, notes that by 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states,” Seib wrote. “They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them.” -WaPo

The remaining 30%, I wonder, will they think he was a criminal?

8 Likes

That’s the other thing here… Trump spent a good thirty years building his personal brand and image through every sort of media you can think of: books, board games, movie appearances, every talk show, TV series, and I’m sure I’m forgetting lots of stuff. By the time he actually ran for president, I think a lot of Americans’ reaction to stories about his clear criminal behavior (the man was sued by the US government for racial housing discrimination! Twice!) was, “Well, yeah! That’s who he is! A smart businessman who got ultra rich by breaking the rules! And every politician lies! If that can put some dollars in my pocket, heck, let’s vote for him.” Republicans are A-OK with actual criminal behavior if it benefits them, too.

17 Likes

It’s like such people don’t realize that they will burn too.

19 Likes

I don’t think he’s a criminal. I know he’s a criminal.

19 Likes