Neat demonstration of EDM cutting technology

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/30/neat-demonstration-of-edm-cutt.html

4 Likes

This will be useful for the series 800 infiltrator model.

8 Likes

And here I thought it was going to be some cutting edge music.

31 Likes

Knowing nothing about that guy, I’m inclined to really like him. I suspect he has a lot of good stories (by my standards).

8 Likes

Sharp observation there.

6 Likes

Came for girls in skimpy clothes with clip-on fur tails and buff clean-cut feely-bros on molly. Am disappoint.

14 Likes

In case it’s not obvious those two parts weren’t made from the same piece of metal. Still an impressive demonstration of the potential accuracy if this process (if you’re willing to wait for the results).

Ram EDM is another neat process that uses the same technique (spark erosion) to apply contours to metals.

6 Likes

we would love to do hovering but we don’t have time

hhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg, fuck ya!

I didn’t think that it’d be from 2 different metal parts, that’s really cool. I can’t imagine being able to do a cut like this out of a single piece.

3 Likes

This is the best thing since sliced steel.

10 Likes

I’d have thought if you were cutting some nasty-to-machine material 300mm thick, you’d just use water jet cutting?
My impression was that EDM was from the era before that.

The principle of EDM is fairly old technology. But 300mm is pretty thick for most waterjets. And precision starts going out the window as workpiece gets thicker. Wire EDM is usually capable of finer tolerances even with thick materials. Downside is that wire EDM can often be a slow process. It’s not as if one process is inherently better than another so much as each has an advantage depending on the circumstances.

11 Likes

It sounds like just the thing the next time I want to 3D-print a battleship.

2 Likes

Water jet is fast, but not accurate. The slot size it cuts is larger and tapers. Laser has a similar problem for thick stuff. Both are great for rough cutting where tolerances aren’t critical. But so is a saw sometimes. Right tool for the right job.

Wire EDM is limited to metals, leaves recast, and has other limitations. But it’s a precision tool.

6 Likes

Does the $1500 toaster oven have one of these?

3 Likes

Why not both?

1 Like

Very disappointed, too. I was hoping for some massive bass drops.

3 Likes

This video has led me to the realization that my environment is sorely deficient in satisfyingly solid chunks of metal cut to absurdly fine tolerances.

Yeah, a combination of sheet metal and plastic castings works for most applications, and you can’t argue with the price; but it’s not very satisfying.

12 Likes

Just don’t forget that there are snowflakes or similar cut into those hunks of metal. It would hurt to pick it up and the pieces slip out and land on your foot.

1 Like