Nebraska flag, flying upside down at State Capitol without notice, may get redesign

Oh yes. Especially as this is also a sign of distress. When parts of the government get it wrong, oh boy does the sarcasm run thick. :smile:

(Though I must admit, I never understand how such governmental cases happen. On all real flag → flagpole hangings, the toggle goes to the top. [On printed flags and ‘crowd-wavers’, sure.])

3 Likes

The Hibernia Diner is EXCELLENT. (Right off the 80.) The waiting staff there knows us by heart and treats us like family; super friendly service, and great food – especially the breakfasts. (Great pies, too.) For years, it’s been our “halfway” stop-over when my folks take me from JFK to Wilkes-Barre, PA during my more or less annual visits back east. (Now I’m drooling like an idiot!) From W-B my folks are close enough to Scranton, PA to make the trip to Cooper’s Restaurant. Google it; it’s the most amazing restaurant on the east cost. Ceilings, walls, and even some table tops have something interesting displayed. The food is out of this world! Very worth the trip. 'Nuff said.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Planet of the Apes ‘forbidden zone’ markers.

2 Likes

Planet Of The Apes is not wrong.

2 Likes

I don’t know about them, but I know it well. My brother still lives in Rockaway, near Morris Hills HS.

1. Visit your bro’.
  2. Go to the Hibernia Diner.
  3. Eat.
  4. Loosen belt.
  5. Sigh.
3 Likes

That’s a long way to go for some diner food! (I live near Bruges, Belgium now.)

I’ve always thought of “Hibernia Diner” as an unfortunate misnomer. Architecturally (small, narrow) and food-wise (fast variety), it may have been like a ‘real’ diner at some time in its past. It does have a counter, but it does not have a diner-floorplan, and most of the seating is restaurant style and in separate areas. And the food is definitely not fast-style in taste or presentation. Is it worth flying several thousand miles for? I’d think not, but I’d say it’s worth a visit if one happens to be in that neck of the woods. As far as Cooper’s Restaurant in Scranton, that one is very much worth driving 100 miles for; eating there is an experience. Always, whenever there I start out with a dozen oysters on the half-shell, followed by their 3 soup sampler (their soups include alligator and Maryland crab), then followed whatever strikes my fancy for the main dish. Décor-wise, one room (they have separate rooms) may still have a (1/2 scale?) model of a blue whale hanging from the ceiling. (!!) That same room has a large glass booth populated with mannequins dressed as Star Trek characters. Wall niches have dioramas as tributes to 60’s tv. Hallways have all sorts of collectibles and memorabilia – crazy – but makes for the ideal spot for a “first date”!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.