Nebraska flag, flying upside down at State Capitol without notice, may get redesign

Or just fly a t-shirt sideways.

7 Likes

Maybe. It depends on who you ask. Unionists and the Northern Irish football team prefer to use the Ulster Banner.

1 Like

Yeah. Most seals have no business being on flags. You can make it work if the rest of the flag is distinctive and or the seal reads easily at a distance without being ambiguous. That’s why I think something like the flag of Pittsburgh can get away with being charged with the City arms:

The black and gold tricolor is so unmistakable that it’s no wonder the colors have been adopted by all of the city’s major sports teams.

2 Likes

You can’t travel a mile in Maryland without seeing our flag. People put it on stickers, shorts, hoodies, t-shirts, bumpers, flag poles. It’s everywhere here because the people of Maryland love it. It’s ugly and loud and no one will mistake it for any other flag. No words, no seal, but fairly hard to draw. And to fly it properly, the flagpole must be sporting a cross finial. It’s MUCH better than my home state of Massachusetts, which has the state seal on a white flag [yawn].

5 Likes

If you just make it a giant ear of corn it won’t matter which side is up.

You do get this though:

Which I love and hate in equal measure.

2 Likes

I think that is a great flag. Everyone recognizes Washington’s face, so there is no question who’s flag it is.

2 Likes

Sounds like an evil terrorist flag.

3 Likes

I dunno.

I like BC’s “setting sun”, NB’s longship, and PEI’s treed island as well.

But yeah, any of the provinces that include their coat of arms on the flag (Alberta, Manitoba, NWT, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Yukon) don’t feel like they put much thought at all into their design.

1 Like

See? No words on flags! I was right!

2 Likes

It’s a Prairie Lilly, not a palm tree.

Edit to add something less pedantic: I always though PEI’s lion was a cut & paste error; someone forgot to correct the aspect ratio.

3 Likes

Also, Mauritania’s flag looks like the Water Buffalos Grand Poobah’s hat on The Flintstones.

So there.

Missouri’s flag is kind of meh, but I like the St. Louis flag.

Theoretically it’s the official flag of St. Louis City, but it’s sort of universally used in the metro area.

5 Likes

Please tell me that St. Louis City is famous for its waterslides.

5 Likes

It’s the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. But we do have a ten-story tall (dry) slide at City Museum…

5 Likes

That is so clear and evocative and striking!

2 Likes

NJ. NY. I’m guessing you might know the Hibernia Diner in Rockaway?

1 Like

I like its use of the fleur de lis!

1 Like

Oh no, I don’t ever get out that far on 80, I’m by EWR. I’ll only go so far for a diner, especially in Jersey, they’re all over the place.

I did once make a road trip to Hot Dog Johnny’s when we were camping at Jenny Jump, but I didn’t know that the Hibernia would have been worth the trip. I like the Clinton diner, but only because I like sitting in old train cars.

1 Like