Nebraska flag, flying upside down at State Capitol without notice, may get redesign

It’s not as much of a problem for Canada.

Unless Manitoba ends up attacking Ontario:

7 Likes

Yeah, I had to draw that shit with magic markers in elementary school for years. Not fun.

2 Likes

Missouri has two of them.

The first day of deer hunting season in Missouri is a state holiday. I’m not sure if that’s coincidental or by design.

Yeah, but the ones on Missouri’s flag look like Care Bears compared to Monarch. (Yes, that’s his real name).

2 Likes

Call me a fucking asshole, but I don’t think flags should have words on them.

2 Likes

I’ve read another article like this that praised Maryland as being one of the top choices for flags rather than one of the worst.

I think it’s too busy myself, but there’s no question that you know what it is as soon as you see it.

2 Likes

I love how the flag design reflects when they became provences. Nunavut’s is pretty cool.

I still can’t figure out why Saskatchewan gets a palm tree, though.

Reminds me of this:

Same artist?

I disagree. Listen to the Roman Mars podcast about local flags. In particular, he highlights some good municipal flag designs such as chicago and amsterdam, and points out that if you go to those cities, the flags are everywhere. Having lived near both of them, I can attest to that. Indeed, anywhere you go in the world, you will see people with Chicago and Amsterdam flags on their clothes, backpacks, shop windows, and occasionally tattoos.

Flags are good for creating and expressing civic pride. Now Chicago and Amsterdam are badass cities, and a nice flag isn’t going to turn buttscratchville into a world famous cultural icon, but have a little self respect and make a flag someone might want to use.

Possibly that is a bigger deal for a big city than a state, but the better state flags such as California, Texas, Colorado, and New Mexico also get a lot of play outside the state capitol.

Bad flags don’t get used for anything important. Good ones do.

4 Likes

Being from Kansas, with the complicated seal on the flag, I feel their pain.

Flag should be much simpler affairs in general.

2 Likes

The fix does not have to be terribly complicated, IMHO.

2 Likes

There. I fixed it. It uses the same colors, you can tell if it’s upside down, kids can draw it in school, and it pretty much sums up Nebraska.

14 Likes

7 Likes

They put Maryland at the bottom, just under Nebraska.

Yet this survey puts Maryland at number four.
https://nava.org/digital-library/design/surveys/2001-State-Provincial-Flag-Survey.pdf

I like Maryland’s flag.

1 Like

Maybe the map should be some other color?

Puce? Chartreuse?

1 Like

I’m a designer and my suggested change is serious, but minimal. The color of the state silhouette was chosen from the seal itself (the grey in the ground & background hills). I would argue against adding any new colors to the flag design.

If you want a joke design, my suggestion would be a silhouette of Nebraska with the slogan: Come for the corn; Stay for the tornadoes.

4 Likes

Oregon’s flag has different designs front and back? What are they? A horse coming and going?

The problem with putting the state seal on the flag is that most state seals try to cram in waaaay too much detail. Imagine how much cooler and iconic the flag would be if it just had a single large image of the locomotive or the steamboat or the guy with the hammer and anvil.

2 Likes

(It just occurred to me you can’t fly the Confederate battle flag upside down-- or at least, who would know?)

Haha. But not really.
Oh, you mean the last one?
Yes you are correct.

7 Likes

Those are some bad flags. I give Quebec an A, Nova Scotia a B, and Nunavut and Newfoundland/Labrador Cs for effort.