Nebraska State Senator proposes constitutional amendment to allow corporations to create tiny, sovereign nations with no laws, taxes or rules

18 U.S. Code § 1111 - Murder: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1111

Usually, double jeopardy would prevent prosecuting for the federal case if the same crime is being prosecuted by the state, but it would apply otherwise, especially if the state renounces to its own jurisdiction. It would also be a civil-rights violation that should get the feds involved (e.g. United States v. Price.)

3 Likes

I’m as libertarian as they come but, no.

5 Likes

Sounds like what’s basically already happening in WV…

2 Likes

Will the state provide roads and access to utilities such as water and electricity? WIll they be able to call the police or fire departments? If there is a disaster will they expect the state to help? If the answer is yest to any of those things then what’s really happening is that the Senator has suggested that the people of his state pay for these corporations needs out of their own pocket.

12 Likes

If you look at what some of the proposals by various cities to Amazon are offering, this isn’t far off.

5 Likes

HOLY SHIT. He doesn’t know how this would work at all. Here is the full text of his proposed bill amendment to the constitution of the state of Nebraska.

8 Likes

Great! When can I open up Bender’s Theme Park (now with both blackjack and hookers)? There is a section of the US Code prohibiting illegal gambling businesses, but Bender’s Theme Park wouldn’t be illegal since it’s not “a violation of the law of a State or political subdivision in which it is conducted”.

2 Likes

Sorry, it’s all “subject to the limitations of the laws and treaties of the United States”, so no can do.

Worked well for Disney!

Four Government Powers You Didn’t Know Walt Disney World Could Use:

1. Control zoning and building codes
  2. Issue tax-free bonds
  3. Run emergency services, law enforcement…and even municipal courts
  4. Use experimental technologies
4 Likes

I want to know if you can appeal their municipal court rulings to US courts.

True, but the mega-rich owners get paid millions of dollars to build stadiums so that they can get richer, so there’s that!

2 Likes

Sounds feasible as long as there’s really stiff tariffs (and immigration control) for importing things from these “sovereign” fiefdoms.

“I’m sorry sir, you may the CEO of that state but if you don’t have a visa, you can’t enter the USA.”.

This has to be one of the most absurd ides I’ve ever heard of and I am a very nasty evil capitalist/Objectivist who thinks less government really is a good idea. But “less government” is not “no government” and I think a corporate government would be hard to tell from a third world dictatorship.

This has worked so well with Native American reservations, what could possibly be bad about it.

Oh wait, could we send Trump into one of these “microstates”? Please? I’ll chip in for his bus fare.

5 Likes

You’ll notice that it isn’t generally player names on the sides of the stadiums.

If it quacks like a duck.

2 Likes

I owe my soul to the company store…

5 Likes

1 Like

My Own Private Idaho Gitmo

6 Likes

Look things are bad here - but they’re not ‘move to Nebraska’ bad. Currently, the outlook is like choosing between Indianapolis and Milwaukee.

2 Likes

Uhm, from where does Nebraska dreive this authority?

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new
State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other
State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or
Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States
concerned as well as of the Congress.

– US Constitution, article IV, section 3

3 Likes

Somehow that just makes the “dozens of baby Waco compounds” comment even more apropos…

2 Likes