Neighbors unhappy about mothball-covered driveway

[Permalink]

Paradichlorobenzene is a pretty horrible carcinogen and toxin. Mothballs are rarely a good idea for any purpose whatsoever, although Iā€™ve seen a clever trick for controlling lymeā€™s disease that uses it.

1 Like

To be fair, Iā€™m pretty tired of inconsiderate neighbors letting their dogs crap in my yard too. I think this solution is a bit worse however.

As I recall, paradichlorobenzene melts at 53C - a blowtorch applied to the driveway might make for a slick result, and a smoother surface would emit less of that lovely chemical stench.
Of course, sweaters are in less danger in that neighbourhood than in most!

Butā€¦she put them on the driveway, so doesnā€™t that sort of defeat her plan?

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to think of the last stink so serious as to offend the noses of one of our dogs and Iā€™m drawing a blank. One might think her alpha dog marking of her turf would just be interpreted by the local canines as some sort of challenge, a top turd throw down, as it were. Or was she just trying to sufficiently offend the animals at the other end of the leash?

1 Like

Things to add to your driveway to stop dogs shitting on it:
1: a gate
2: a sentry gun hosepipe*

*this is a thing, i remember seeing a vid of one built for exactly this purpose, but the problem was cats (harder to lock out of yards, cats). It was on Hackaday, I think

1 Like

This might be of interest:

Review: could Fibromyalgia cause Paradichlorobenzene?

2 Likes

That was deeply weird. Broken API?

1 Like

I strongly suspect that the site is designed to sell ads to hypochondriacs and this is simply an edge case, along the lines of the Keep calm and do unspeakable things t shirt fiasco.

2 Likes

OK, but I didnā€™t want any of the actual t-shirts that advocated specific unspeakable actions, but now I really really want one that literally says ā€œkeep calm and do unspeakable thingsā€, dammit.

4 Likes

Perhaps with an elder sign or a cthulhu in place of the crown?

2 Likes

Florida - I live in Tallahassee and all of this is incomprehensible to us all.
Florida woman, Florida man; theyā€™re our neighbors!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got one sayā€™s ā€˜gan radge and eat cowies*ā€™
*ecstasy

1 Like

Like antifreeze, moth balls have a sweet taste. Tempting for many animals and children. Definitely a health hazard scattered on a driveway

The alternative is naphthalene. Who knows which ones they are. Naphthalene is cool as it can double as a scintillator, if you get a photomultiplier to deposit it onto; voila, mothball radiation sensor! And it doesnā€™t even smell that bad.

1 Like

Finely ground hot pepper usually does the trick without chemically maming the neighbor kids and no dog or cat is likely to try a second time.

OR this:

Bonus, it works against those noisy neighborhood kids as well!

1 Like

If the neighbor kids are immune to the effects of inhaling cayenne they arenā€™t human. (Trust me on this, do not attempt at home.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.