Neil Pert RIP

10 Likes

Libertarian Ayn Randian asshole politically, but musically, DAMN could he play! He was my first suggestion of drumming as more than 1,2,3,4 and repeat. Rush was thoughtful, at times infuriating but always thought-provoking music. He really will be missed.

4 Likes

Didn’t he say more recently he was a Democratic supporter, and fairly bleeding heart?

4 Likes

wiki source:

Peart has often been categorized as an Objectivist and an admirer of Ayn Rand. This is largely based on his work with Rush in the 1970s, particularly the song “Anthem” and the album 2112 ; the latter specifically credited Rand’s work.[66] However, in his 1994 Rush Backstage Club Newsletter , while contending the “individual is paramount in matters of justice and liberty”, Peart specifically distanced himself from a strictly Objectivist line.[67] In a June 2012 Rolling Stone interview, when asked if Rand’s words still speak to him, Peart replied, “Oh, no. That was forty years ago. But it was important to me at the time in a transition of finding myself and having faith that what I believed was worthwhile.”[68]

10 Likes

He and Keith Moon are, IMHO, two of the best drummers of all time. RIP to both of them.

8 Likes

I’m not into drums at all (I’m ‘keyboards’), but Neil’s drumming videos (explaining his drumming style, etc.) are incredibly fascinating to me. I’m sure that other drummers think about their drumming, Neil’s approach is pretty engrossing.

Moon was a different animal, altogether. Raw energy straight from the gut. I still listen for his drumming ‘fill-ins’; he was a machine!!!

8 Likes

Well good then. I am always happy to see people evolve. Followed them bit obsessively in college, but that was mid-80s, so that would fit the timeline.

8 Likes

It’s not just his drumming. It’s his lyrics too. And his thoughtful and introspective demeanor. He was an amazing human being who some saw as gruff or aloof but for those that knew him, they all say he was one of the kindest, most humble, sharing, and giving human beings.

5 Likes

I loved that episode from Freaks and Geeks in which Jason Segel’s character buys a HUGE drum kit, à la Neil, but has never taken a lesson. And Joe Flaherty later tells him, “Neil Peart sucks.”

6 Likes

My girlfriend never liked it too much, but Rush was the soundtrack of my college years. They were my first stadium show. I can play most of Moving Pictures back in my head.

I always thought Neil might be on the spectrum. Hugely sensitive, a tornado of internal activity under a surface reserve, difficulty expressing himself through neurotypical sociality, driven to perfection and to impose structure. Limelight. Vital Signs. Everybody got to deviate from the norm.

He went through some amazing difficulty, losing his daughter and then his wife in the space of a year.

You know nothing, Joe Flaherty.

3 Likes

Goddammit

5 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

Sigh

Time Stand Still, my friend.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.