Neil Young tells Spotify to pull his music if they don't drop Joe Rogan

It’s no big loss for Neil Young, either.

Spotify doesn’t pay artists for shit, unlike their darling celebrity podcasters.

8 Likes

Sadly none of the streamers pay anything close to radio rates, even aggregated out. You want to support an artist, the best ways remain to go to their concert and buy their merch direct, and buy their music outright on vinyl or CD. That’s where the biggest pull throughs are still.

Second place to digital music stores, but they pay less than physical.

2 Likes

Maybe relevant to all this is Young sold half the rights to his music to Hipgnosis a couple years ago

1 Like

I just read that Spotify just pulled Neil Young. Apparently they decided to call his bluff. Except I don’t think ol’ Neil was bluffing, and decided the couple of bucks Spotify was paying him was money he could well afford to lose. Spotify on its part apparently decided retirement-age rock stars aren’t as important as the popular podcaster they just shelled out a huge stack of cash for, and now need to justify splurging so much on.

9 Likes

I’d never heard Rogan until this, well technically I still haven’t because I scrubbed forward to the part you suggested and it was profoundly disgusting to hear expertise being shouted over, sniggered at and belittled in favour of “do your research on internet rumours and and News International glossy!” and couldn’t listen any further. I’m not sure I heard Rogan saying anything in it, his guest was being rude and misogynistic, but he was obviously happy with it. If someone pulled that shit on my show I would shut them up and let the woman who was an actual expert present the counter.

I believe Neil Young suffered from polio. He adopted children that are disabled and immunocompromised, I have heard he funds a school for disabled children. This is pretty real for him.

If you want to listen to his music online you could always try here:

12 Likes

season 13 GIF

1 Like

Yes,Neil Young opposing platforming the far right and medical misinformation that kills people is the “bad thing” :tm:… Truly a pointless old man out of touch with the “real world” where all “opinions” are equally valid on all issues… /s

Give Me A Break Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

19 Likes

This would have hurt Spotify more if this move was made by an artist who already wasn’t in a hate/hate relationship with streaming platforms in general

4 Likes

I await your sterling example of appropriate action.

8 Likes

Shut up vagina-haver, the guy who bullies actors into drinking donkey jizz for money has important grunts and noises to shit out of the asymmetrical slit in his neckbeard!

9 Likes

All the more reason for other famous artists to follow Young’s lead.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.