Neill Blomkamp to direct new 'Robocop' sequel, with original's writers on board

ROBBED AGAIN!

2 Likes

Is that your catchphrase? Because. You know. Rob Beschizza.

You’ve been Robbed

Don’t ban me

2 Likes

“Dick, you’re fired!

2 Likes

Most of the '80s cartoons we remember so fondly were the result of the FCC relaxing rules on combining content and advertising marketed at children in 1981. As a result, you ended up with what the industry itself called “program-length commercials” which were little more than advertisements for toys. He-Man, ThunderCats, My Little Pony, GI Joe, etc. all fell into this genre. The purpose of the TV show was simply to advertise the toys.

EDIT: On this issue I highly recommend Buy, Buy, Baby: How Consumer Culture Manipulates Parents and Harms Young Minds.

3 Likes

The term ‘d.o.a.’ springs to mind. Verhoeven was the secret ingredient of the 1987 film.

This. Born in the mid-late 60’s, I grew up (in the other hemisphere) watching Hanna-Barbera re-runs and Rocky and Bullwinkle etc. Cartoons were just elaborate comics, only dumber and with fake laugh tracks.

In the 90’s I watched “Ren & Stimpy” to get my first born to sleep on a Saturday morning, and then several years later Powerpuff Girls; Cow and Chicken; and Pinky & the Brain when the first two were old enough. Even then I was blown away at how “grown up” cartoons were. “Ren and Stimpy” in particular was bonkers in a new kind-of-way, but still reflected the madness of Tex Avery.

Number three was born in the mid-2000s, and his cartoon viewing included “Adventure Time” and the gloriously sublime “Gravity Falls”, which turned into a gateway introduction to cryptography for my youngest. He will never know how lucky he is, and that’s not even getting to adult cartoons like Archer or BoJack Horseman.

So yeah. In the late 70’s in Australia, crap cartoons defined Saturday morning TV before the wrestling started, but now they are art. How awesome will the next gen of animation be?

2 Likes

“Thank you.”

1 Like

SPLAT!!!

Poor Emil…

When the waste makes your eye slide off your face like cheese from a pie
That’s amore!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.