Neill Blomkamp to direct new 'Robocop' sequel, with original's writers on board

Antonio Banderas as Robbitomaster (a robot with a license from Chipotle or someplace) who gets people to enjoy their burrito. [He did a close for Chris Hardwick’s podcast, I just kind of forgot about whether it’s being in the now or something else, so…]

Teenage Negasonic Warhead (someone in the character) maybe audits the program.

Bupronorephrine and 30 other meds on civil justice blotter use, but intrinsic safety is so high Robocop has trouble rebooting Themselves with high voltage.

OCP Robotics Lab mostly grows and showcases orchids to break even.

2 Likes

Those clips are from Bad President:

1 Like

Neither movie really gets into the heads of Graham and the killer, so you don’t see the critical insight which allows Graham to see the victims from the killer’s perspective, giving his location away.

Then this should come as good news to you…that building in Detroit that Michael Bay blows up in every. one. of. his. movies. is getting renovated to become the new headquarters location for Ford.

1 Like

They kind of were, it was always robots fighting each other because why not… that being said there has been some pretty decent stories from Transformers like the old 80’s animated movie and i also got super into Beast Wars.

1 Like

I can’t help but wonder how much the Robocop Rap was influenced by Goldie Lookin Chain

Manhunter has better interior design tho.

Transformers didn’t “ruin” my nostalgia for the old toys (which were awesome!) or the comics (awesome) or the cartoon (cruder animated and simpler stories than modern cartoons, but still “fun”).

No, the Transformers movies ruined my movie going experience by having an absolutely garbage plot that was full of nonsensical plot devices, effects that could be replicated by just whirling bits of metal in a blender, and nearly completely ignoring the source materials look and design.

Michael Bay is a cancer who needs to be cut out and put in a jar. Breathing holes optional.

It isn’t just Bay; it isn’t just 80s stuff. Hollywood often times treat IP from other areas (TV, toys, comics, games, etc) as nothing more than free publicity with a built in fan base. They give two shits about staying faithful to the source material. They often IGNORE what makes the source material great or enjoyable in the first place. Comic book movies had this problem severely in the earlier years, though Marvel seems to finally have it down.

1 Like

Bay DID want to have his reboot of TMNT as them being alien turtles. So…

Thank god that didn’t happen but he seemed really adamant about that change. Fuck that TMNT reboot btw.

The original Transformers cartoon was conceived first and foremost as a toy commercial (ditto G.I. Joe). I don’t care for Michael Bay’s movies but it does make a certain amount of sense that they’d hand over the franchise to the king of explosion-based product placement.

Yes and the comics as well - but good stories still came out of both. To this day Larry Hama’s work in GI Joe has held up as an example as a toy line to comics done right. The issue he did with Snake Eyes that was 100% visual story telling, no text is considered one of the stand out comics of the era. (Note the series Toys that Made us on Netflix has some excellent documentaries on both GI Joe and Transformers). You’re right that they were made to sell toys, but they were still entertaining.

If I had to boil down my criticism of the effects it is: the shots are too tight, we fail to see the scale of the robots, and the design and effects look like whirling junk half the time.

But I would forgive that and the awful design if the nonsensical plot wasn’t so bad. Do you all want me to repost my review of the first movie outlining everything stupid about it?

Oh heck no, you definitely don’t need to convince me Michael Bay’s Transformers movies are terrible. (I only saw the first one but I doubt they got much better since then).

I’m just saying he turned a toy commercial into a car commercial.

3 Likes

In memory we form a perfect hour or thereabouts of the best bits of any given thing, which leads us to think that done right and with enough love, an entire movie (or TV series) might work. But it rarely does. We were right to begin with. The typical 80s cartoon franchise has about an hour’s worth of life in it.

2 Likes

By any reasonable standard my kids’ generation has far, far better cartoons than I ever did at their age. I’ll take the worst episode of Adventure Time over the best episode of ThunderCats any day.

2 Likes

Thundercats was pretty solid - and still has an amazing intro. I liked the recent reboot as well, though it was canned after only one season.

But yes, kids are spoiled with the quality and quantity. It wasn’t until the 90s when I think we really go some above average writing and animation with the likes of Batman TAS, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, etc.

But looking back to the 70s and 60s you can see how they had it even worse. Sure you had the amazing Warner Bros and Disney stuff originally as movie shorts, but the stuff on TV was largely bad. Really stiff animation. Blase stories. Hell they had some series they were too lazy to animate it was just animation stills with human lips to make them talk.

The 90s started the trend and it got better from there where TV animation wasn’t just for kids - and even stuff for kid wasn’t treated as dumbed downed schlock.

Kids today have an embarrassment of riches. Mine doesn’t do a lot of shows per se. She was into My Little Pony, but now Steven Universe is her thing (for the last 3 years or so) and I watch it with her and find and down load the Steven Bombs as they are released.

1 Like

Count yourself fortunate that your son hasn’t gotten into this series. I didn’t think movies could get measurably worse as a series continues, but this series does.

1 Like

As long as Blomkamp doesn’t get to write the script I think this will be an okay film, imo. Especially since he gets the visuals right in all his films but he can’t seem to properly set the tone at all with respect to their stories. He needs someone else to help him. District 9 I believe was co-written with his wife so it has someone else helping out to keep some even pace for him.

Did you ever see the hilariously bad “Adventures of Mr. Incredible” short they included as a bonus feature on the DVD? It’s even better with the commentary.

2 Likes

You’re just jealous you don’t have as cool of a catch phrase.

Or do you even HAVE a catch phrase?