Robocop creator Ed Neumeier plans new sequel to original, ignoring the others and the reboot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/23/robocop-creator-ed-neumeier-pl.html

9 Likes

In the 80’s that was kind of a satire about corporate America and a little bit about what was going in law enforcement and policing and stuff like that.

Boy, does he have a lot of grist for his mill this time around, especially if he adds in politics. I second wanting Verhoeven or someone with his sensibility as director. Give me all that and I know my reaction:

35 Likes

I heard about this and honestly I think they can make it happen. It’s really a question of how you cover the years gap to make it understandable to a wider audience.

5 Likes

The true successor is of course the Saturday morning cartoon.

What a strange time that was, when R-rated movies were freely marketed towards the young’uns.

12 Likes

As a kid, Nightmare on Elm Street was something I enjoyed too much on top of Robocop.

6 Likes

Alas, I’m afraid we’re living in times beyond satire : at best all we can do is describe it

20 Likes

Frank Miller who wrote RoboCop 3 (and who was very unhappy with what ended up on the screen) also wrote an excellent Robocop Vs. Terminator comic illustrated by Walt Simonson. I highly recommend it!

3 Likes

I quite enjoyed “the forgettable 2014 reboot”, mostly because it was very self-aware and tried to deconstruct the themes from the first movie rather than just expand on them like all those sequels did.
OmniCorp from the 2014 is the sly antithesis to 1987’s OCP. They practice “compassionate capitalism” and make a big point out of preserving Murphy’s right hand, as well as his personal identity - wich OCP worked so hard to suppress. The big joke is, of course, that none of it actually matters to them; the third act still plays out the same way.

That beeing said, it’d be very interesting to see Neumier & Verhoven have another go at the material. I bet they’d have a different angle too, now that time has passed.

8 Likes

I went to the Dollar Tree next to my office and they had Robocop on blueray in a bin.
Yep… at checkout I said the line and sadly, no one around me got the joke. I was bummed.

29 Likes

I really enjoyed the 2nd movie, while not perfect i think it hits most of the notes for me. Disappointed the writer feels like he needs to ignore that particular sequel but then again it’s not like that movie will be any less enjoyable with a new movie that wants to continue the canon in a different direction. Either way i think more Robocop movies that follow the dark comedy/satire of the original is a promising thing. I hope it works out.

4 Likes

Maximizing profits through brand name recognition. Rather than express art, or even aim to entertain audiences, we have endless rehashes that try to tug at a nostalgia that is really only shared by the small population of Gen-X. Bad business, bad art.

4 Likes

I accidentally bought the recent CGI remake because the DVD was just marked “Robocop” in one of those cd-wallets at the thrift store.

Man was I disgusted. I only paid a dollar, but still, “I wouldn’t buy that for a dollar!”

7 Likes

There are so many targets in the modern world that I doubt even Robocop will be able to target them all.

1 Like

He also wrote Robocop 2 (and was unhappy with what ended up on screen)

5 Likes

ten3or

2 Likes

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s a requirement to always refer to him as “talented fuck-face Frank Miller.”

5 Likes

I want to believe, I really do.
Except, I’ve seen Starship Troopers 2.
I predict: unwatchable disaster. Get the word out.

5 Likes

Remember how scathing it was that Mary Hart played a news anchor for chrissake…we are SO far beyond that… sigh. :frowning:

3 Likes

The Furniture of Law Enforcement!

5 Likes