Nerf unveils "DRM for darts"

i’d be interested in a nerf gun that shot coffee soaked darts directly into my face

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s basically a more safe version of airsoft which is a more safe version of Paintball. Both paintball and airsoft should have eye protection when played, though people goofing around with the spring loaded ones often don’t. Paintball is a must always because they are made to go 300 fps, and can be made to go even faster. While I am out of those circles, I never year of people using subpar safety goggles with that game any more.

That sounds cool. But yeah, if it is traveling that fast it runs the risk of eye injury. As a TOY I can see them keeping them underpowered and safe. If modders want to make them more powerful and then were like paintball masks, I say go for it.

I think you want a Super Soaker with coffee in it.

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t doubt that people who practice this as sport wear safety gear. I’m mildly concerned about practical jokes in the wild, by people with enough money to buy such a toy but not a lot of common sense.

That would give new meaning to the phrase, a shot of espresso.

1 Like

Fortunately, there is a vibrant Nerf-hacking community that takes the guns apart to beef up mainsprings, increase magazine capacity, mod them to look like movie props, etc. There is likely already instructions on YouTube on how to break the DRM.

3 Likes

Are you thinking of Airsoft?

eWGLi3t

3 Likes

It would be slower and shorter range than airsoft, and less ammo. Sort of like a… nerfed paintball.

The “DRM” is apparently the shape of the dart itself:

2 Likes

Marketing genius. Even if our Rival ™ wins, we win!

Agreed though it sounds like they’re hoping their patents will allow them to sue anyone selling knockoffs.

Definitely not DRM though, as there doesn’t seem to be anything “digital” about it. And, unlike most DRM, it’s not protecting any copyrighted content, so if someone can figure out a way to make compatible darts that’s different enough from the official ones to not infringe on patents, they wouldn’t be guilty of circumventing DRM under DMCA 1201.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.