Netflix sets sail with One Piece in a new trailer

Originally published at: Netflix sets sail with One Piece in a new trailer | Boing Boing

Wondering where did they get the all hair dye back in the pirate days?

4 Likes

You might want to skip this one. There will be at least 967 things less likely to have been available in historical “pirate days” than hair dye (beginning, I suppose, with the straw hat kid’s highly extendable arm/fist), and we wouldn’t want your head to explode from incredulity.

2 Likes

thinking hm GIF

I just don’t know about this at all. One Piece just doesn’t seem like the type of anime that would translate well to live action.

4 Likes

Henna?

6 Likes
5 Likes

Didn’t know about that one, but I’m not surprise! People have been dying their hair for ages!

3 Likes

The brazilian natives, the original people, love to dye the hair and the skin. It is used to protect the skin, as cosmetics and ritual painting.

Huh, I think I derailed this conversation…

5 Likes

But it’s an educational derail, so it’s fine! :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

This is one of those animes I have heard about, but seen zero actual content. I hope it lives up to fan expectations.

I was excited for the live action Cowboy Bebop, but after the reviews and friends comments, I haven’t made myself watch it yet :frowning:

5 Likes

“You stand beside the comment-trolley-car switch. If you do not pull the switch, the comment-trolley-car will continue on its original path, as the OP intended. If you pull the switch, the comment-trolley-car with be diverted on to a new, potentially controversial, interesting track. What do you do?” :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve never watched the anime or read the manga, but Kumamoto (a city I hope to call home next year) has a series of statues which were installed to help with fundraising for the aftermath of the 2016 earthquake - Eiichiro Oda, author of ONE PIECE was born and raised in Kumamoto City:

While I was there in May I saw the most Japanese thing ever - a very polite queue of people waiting to take photos with the Monkey D. Luffy statue:

3 Likes

They showed a little of Luffy’s devil fruit power CGI. I wonder how well they managed future Emperor Buggy’s power?

2 Likes

I have to admit I never came into contact with One Piece before, and what you wrote there makes no sense whatsoever for me. Which probably makes this the funniest thing I read all day. :laughing:

If future archeologists would unearth such sentences in, say, 3000 years, what would they make of it? (I recently had fun with different translations of cuneiform tablets, and some of the stuff definitely made no sense whatsoever to me, and possibly also not to the people who did the transliteration and translation…)

After 1065 episodes, in a complicated world and story, yeah, I’m not going to explain it. :laughing:

As for future archeologists, my only suggestion, if they’re reading the manga, is to read it right to left.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.