Netflix to release Orson Welles' final film in November

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/30/netflix-to-release-orson-welle.html

3 Likes

Beset by financial issues, the production ultimately stretched years and gained notoriety, never to be completed or released.

In the Casey Kasem thread the other day we were discussing the infamous commercial work done by Welles (frozen foods, cheap wines) and the hilarious outtakes. He took a lot of that work to fund the production of his films. At one point in the frozen peas tape he says something to the effect of “you don’t know what I’m up against”, which I’ve always suspected was a reference to trying to finance this movie (or perhaps to try to secure marketing money for Chimes at Midnight).

6 Likes

What a perfect time for this to be released, finally.

6 Likes

Could you really ever “finish” a film that took so long to make? I think it’d be interesting to watch for its historical/cultural value, if it turns out to be good i’ll be pleasantly surprised.

6 Likes

Just the one liner memes / gifs that could be made, keep us busy for some time.

5 Likes

Has to be said:

We will sell no film before its time.

5 Likes

This is pretty much obligatory:

Yes, always.

2 Likes

I hope that the title ties in with the satirical aspects of the film as it is otherwise terrible. What is in this side of the wind, to begin with?

Semi-relevant Orson Welles:

2 Likes

Not exactly his final film. He filmed others after this one.

And if by final one means last completed, well, it’s still possible that yet another project could be eventually completed somehow.

1 Like

Dear God, I hope it’s good. With all this hype… great people can make stinkers sometimes. Wouldn’t it be awful if this was that?

image image

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.