Orson Welles interviews Andy Kaufman (1982)

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/27/orson-welles-interviews-andy-k.html

8 Likes
10 Likes

Andy’s wrestling bit with Jerry Lawler was epic beyond compare. I miss him.

10 Likes

It’s all about Rev Book.

4 Likes
6 Likes

And it’s nice to see Kaufman being himself and seriously answering the questions, too.

9 Likes

Bonus: Ron Glass

I suspect Glass and Kaufman were there because Barney Miller and Taxi ran (in sequence?) on ABC

12 Likes

Ah, Orson Wells played The Shadow for it’s first season and a season in the Summer in the Radio plays. Tough he technically wasn’t the first to voice the character, as he started out as a mysterious narrator for Smith and Street Detective Hour (IIRC that was the title.)

4 Likes

Legit one of the best feuds ever. Legendary stuff and a masterclass in how to do it right.

6 Likes

Yes, when one watches some talk shows, it’s so painfully obvious when one party or another basically closes down or even tries to upstage the other. Here, it’s amazing to see the respect and deference the two are giving each other during the interview.

8 Likes

So wonderful to see two geniuses who seem to hold each other in such high regard, and have such mutual respect and admiration. Andy Kaufman seems rather in awe… as he should be, of course. And it’s so refreshing to see him be so sincere.

11 Likes

It’s very sweet. Kaufman is clearly in awe, having the opportunity to speak casually with Welles about his craft and hearing his acting praised so graciously by such a monumental figure in the theatre and film world.

7 Likes

In a better alternate universe, our dozens of forgettable talk show hosts have been exchanged for the very long running Orson Welles Show.

5 Likes

Orson, whom I had the pleasure of meeting once, was a very sweet man. Genuinely appreciative of talents other than his own. And listen to how precisely he dissects one of the reasons “Taxi” was a great show. Thanks for posting this!

10 Likes

Andy and Orson were both so amazing. Kaufman is the inspiration for so many of my stories, but they are told with a Welles gravitas.

Andy is so, so loved.

3 Likes

that’s Shepard, but your coat’s still brown.

1 Like

Carson, Pryor, and Carlin. I used to sneak out of my room late at night to watch this kind of shenanigans.

4 Likes

4 Likes
2 Likes

Man, I cannot find the post fight (uh… post-wrestle?) interview that still is from!

In the meantime, enjoy Andy doing anything he wants!