Neurodiversity ♾ Think Different

9 Likes

For comparison, here in NSW, Australia a diagnosis means a school can get extra funding for that kid. This goes towards hiring assistant teachers etc. No diagnosis = no funding, so the extra support will need to fit within the school’s existing budget. There aren’t many over-funded schools …

10 Likes

Just found this publisher. Can anyone vouch for any of these books? The titles and keywords are encouraging:

3 Likes

… is this on topic

5 charged after special needs student is forced to eat his own vomit, police say

2 Likes

“The child involved has a cognitive disability which affects his memory.”

I’d say it counts. Gifs don’t do it justice, and I’m glad they’re being charged as well as fired.

4 Likes

The authors and blurb writers as well.

They’ve got Liane Holliday Willey’s Pretending to be Normal, they’ve got Attwood’s books, they’ve got Aspergirls, they have blurbs for some books from people like Attwood and Silbermann.

It looks like a source of good things.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Includes a positive review of the study by the co-founder of ASAN, although the info doesn’t seem to be on their website yet:

7 Likes

The Nature Neuroscience article can be downloaded from ResearchGate.

Molecular and network-level mechanisms explaining individual differences in autism spectrum disorder

Amanda M. Buch, Petra E. Vértes, Jakob Seidlitz, So Hyun Kim, Logan Grosenick & Conor Liston

Nature Neuroscience volume 26, pages 650–663 (2023)

9 Likes
9 Likes

10 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

Just got a heads-up on this one.

Needless to say,

There is nothing there to support this. There are potential side effects, not least of which is locking an autistic child in a capsule for hours at a time.

I do try to keep up on the woo, but it can get exhausting after a while…
Anyway, this is your PSA for the day!

8 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

I’ve had hyperbaric therapy, after a bit of decompression illness from SCUBA diving. My left arm still gets tingly from time to time. Heavy smoking and deep diving don’t mix, kids.

I was a semi-muscular, full-grown, 25-year-old man, and the chamber ride was stressful. Afterward, it felt like every nerve in my body had been lightly polished with steel wool. Not deeply painful, but everything felt mildly nerve-pain sore and just plain wrong.

Not something I’d do to a child, unless there was a genuinely compelling clinically-proven benefit that outweighed the very real cost. As you point out, this ain’t that.

10 Likes

NOT THE FIRST PERSON DIAGNOSED!!

(I know you know that)

Grunya Efimovna Sukhareva wrote such a detailed diagnosis of autism in 1924 from her clinical work (published in Germany in 1925, where two native German speakers would have almost certainly read it) that it could be used in the DSM-5 right now. But it’s only when one of them moves to the States (Kanner) that the diagnosis is acknowledged widely.

6 Likes

Double dose of Versed to “shut him up”:

1 Like

Oh, it could be worse. The Sunday morning breakfast TV just said (like, literally a minute ago) “Don Triplett, I just found out he was the basis for the movie Rain Man.”

:man_facepalming:

1 Like