Neurodiversity ♾ Think Different

Bruce Banner Reaction GIF

3 Likes

That is infuriating. Just so everybody knows, autistic kids are extremely sensitive to pretty much all psych meds. 10 mg of Versed is not a huge dose in a normal adult, but in an autistic teenager? OMG. Throw in an autistic kid (they don’t clarify how severely affected, but) who has had his mother, and then his caregiver, taken from him. The stress would be horrendous. Someone that heartless, that degree of lack of empathy, has no business in healthcare.

9 Likes

His own father turned him in, which says a lot.

6 Likes

Lovely piece:

(Please note, if neurotypical: the reference in this piece about being happy about ‘no masking’ does not refer to physical masks to protect against disease but rather the faking of being normal that neurodiverse people are expected to do.)

6 Likes
10 Likes

Autistic people often feel that whole society-wide groups are complicit in believing social lies. That is because whole collective identities do, in fact, assent to lies and neglect to address behaviors and attitudes that contribute to harm.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Not enough likes available for that article…

10 Likes

Fern Brady On Being A Stripper, Autism Diagnosis & School In ‘A Men’s Prison’ | Unfiltered

@37:20

“… and I knew my meltdowns were a problem, but I didn’t have a name for them, I just thought: am I angry? or maybe I’m just, like, a bad person. I must just be a bad bastard.”

5 Likes
7 Likes

And when they say ‘fierce debate’, they mean ‘the research that makes this claim have all been flawed in some way’.

2 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

… did anybody link this yet

1 Like
7 Likes
3 Likes

(TW: video shows violent child abuse)

I am left just speechless by this one. Honestly, autism doesn’t even begin to factor in, really. You don’t treat any 3-year-old like this. But if they are autistic, it’s much easier to see them as sub-human, so yeah, it does.

The family said they first learned of the incident that occurred on Aug. 21 upon picking up their son from school. They said the school mentioned that an incident had happened but were vague and failed to provide additional details. The family said they were later contacted by Child Protective Services, who were investigating the incident, and the family was told to request video of the incident as it was “way worse than what the school put on paper.”

Translation: Someone at the school called CPS. Not everyone involved is an asshole, but there are enough. More than enough.

2 Likes

This isn’t just an issue in Australia, and not just for autism. As far as I can see, most countries will refuse permanent residency or citizenship if you or a dependant member of your family have a disability they think is going to be inconvenient.

Beyond the situations like this one, where we (as a nation) are shooting ourselves in the foot by reflexively denying some who wants to come here and whose skills we need, because they or their child is autistic (or a wheelchair user, or has Down’s Syndrome, or is blind, or Deaf, or even has disabilities that you wouldn’t notice unless you knew what you were looking for), it’s saying something to the disabled members of this country: it’s telling us that if the government didn’t have to, it wouldn’t let us in either. It’s telling us that we’re welcome* in our own country (*terms and conditions apply). It tells us that we’d better get used to how we’re treated here, because nobody else will take us either.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for posting that link. I don’t agree wholeheartedly with all of the author’s framing, but her work, and in particular the “grand emotions” article, is deeply informative.

Edited because I offended others with my regrettable lack of compassion for neurotypicals.

2 Likes

I was raised this way and have really complicated feelings about it but ultimately I understand why and think in the context of when and where I was raised it made the most sense as a way to protect me and give me a chance. Yet I also think it introduced problems, made familial dysfunction worse, and left me in a worse more vulnerable place in some ways too. Rock meets hard place.

That being said… if I had a child I would seek diagnoses to access help and support and to defend my child, but then again the place and time is also radically different. People are kinder, better informed, and more understanding. As hard as it is to believe, culture has advanced quite a lot.

8 Likes