Nevada bill would allow Big Tech to make their own Factory Towns and local governments

Yep. Just like they didn’t build underwater cities to install and service all the oil rigs in the North Sea. Even if somebody did decide that they needed people in orbit, (solar power stations, Helium 3, or whatever McGuffin in space somebody is preaching today) they would simply pay them really well to live in privation like they do with saturation divers. Similarly, it is difficult to imagine a worldwide catastrophe (nuclear winter, climate change, asteroid impact) that would result in Mars being more habitable than Antarctica.

6 Likes

Everything old is new again! We’re back to the 19th century - debtor prisons, prison labor, and now factory towns! One small step away from…wait for it…slavery!!! We are truly living in the Golden Age of Capitalism.
<basks in the golden glow of ill-gotten riches while fanning a stack of $1000 bills…>

3 Likes

That’s a great analogy. I was presupposing (generously) that people are voluntarily living in space just as they might live anywhere else, not as a special job posting or the like. But you’re right, long before that happens people would be given hazard pay to sleep in steel cans on the asteroid mining platforms.

4 Likes

This can be interesting, if done correctly. I would like to see updated versions of East Tilbury and others Bata-villes and also Bournville (Cadbury). Frederic Bastiat would be electrified with this possibility.

1 Like

Tennessee Ernie Ford was a BAMF.

1 Like

We took that step a long time ago and just moved it out of sight of those pesky cameras and abolitionists. Ohio Penal Industries

You mine sixteen coins, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Elon don’t you call me, 'cause I can’t go
I owe my soul to the company store

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.