Never talk to or accept an inflatable sausage from the police

Possession of stolen sausagery.

1 Like

I absolutely agree an inflatable toy is harmless. But I meant it when I said throwing stuff doesn’t bring out the best. Throwing stuff at cops is not going to bring out their best. Either they are going to just be annoyed and arrest you or arrest you to make an example before someone decides to try something not so harmless. It’s not about excusing cops. It’s about having the sense not to hand them an excuse to arrest over something as stupid as an inflated wiener.

On the flip side, cops shouldn’t be tossing anything at crowds. They are more likely to be tossing gas grenades or worse. Which short of actual criminal activity (looting or vandalism like after a sport team wins), I’ve never been able to wrap my head around.

So yeah, I’m generally on the protestors side (or rather, support their right to protest). But throwing stuff (other than in actual self defense) is a dick move no matter what it is. We tell little kids to use their words. We should expect the same from adults.

I’m thinking it was a pork sausage.

At least it wasn’t an electronic sausage.

3 Likes

I’m guessing the police charged her with assault since touching anything a cop is holding is by extension touching them, therefore assault.

More like packed his lunch IN it.

Yes. And he’s making a good bet on which side is better armed.

If that is true, holy shit that is fucked up.

I mean - what a ridiculous law. If I take a ticket from an officer am I committing assault?

Update:

5 Likes

This reminds me of a very old video (80’s?) probably taken from a police car camera, in which a cop forcefully put a baton or a knife in the hand of a guy that was already immobilized by him and colleagues, then they started to beat up him badly as soon as they could show that the object was in his hand.
So now it’s “never talk with the police, never call the police, never trust the police, never look at the police, and never accept anything from the police”.

6 Likes

Lol, if using your words made a difference then we wouldn’t have cops by now at all.

I’d rather have action than waste my breath a second longer. Cops don’t respect law or discourse. They only respect force. That’s their language. Force and violence. You can’t communicate with them with words for the same reason you can’tteach a dog to read.

2 Likes

Yep. The less contact with police normal decent peope have, the less they’re murdered by police.

1 Like

Try Jazz though…
Not so good.

However problems arise when they’re coming for you, like in Breonna Taylor’s case, and many others like this one that made me angry as well.
Warning: not for sensitive people, the audio of the dying man could haunt you for a long time.

4 Likes

Too bad we don’t have a time machine. You could go back and explain to Gandhi, MLK, etc that they were wrong. That claiming and keeping the moral high ground is a fools errand. Because if you just hit cops with an inflated sausage, you can change the world! That’s real action! If you can just bonk them enough, then they will back down. No more innocent Black men getting shot.

I’m still going to lean towards bypassing the police and getting those in charge to hold them accountable. You know, the people who pay the cops. Cops may not pay attention to words, but they pay attention to money and jail time. Confronting the cops seems like a waste of breathe.

Too bad you don’t know history well enough to have been tricked into thinking they acted in a vacuum, and had no involvement with direct activism and were totally non violent.

You should really read some history before scolding, and making yourself look foolish.

MLK himself said the riot is the language of the unheard. He was constantly being critisized for the protests he led “being violent”.

There is nothing a black man can do that the white authorities won’t puniah him for.

Telling everyone to just be non violent and accept that the cops are going to kill them is sacrificing other people for your own principles.

11 Likes

Gandhi’s views on violence and non-violence were considerably more complicated than is generally acknowledged:

I have been repeating over and over again that he who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honour by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor.

– Gandhi, Young India, 1928

9 Likes

Where did I say they were totally non-violent? No, I didn’t. I talked about claiming and keeping the moral high ground. Where do say non-violence is the only way? Protecting yourself against violence, even if it means using violence, can still be still maintaining the high ground. Being the first to strike seldom is. Going out of your way to use force against the police because it’s the only language they understand isn’t protecting yourself or keeping the moral high ground. It’s playing to their strengths. It’s stupid. MLK and Gandhi knew this.

Your right, there’s probably nothing a black man can do that won’t be used against him. So why give up the remaining weapon that can’t be taken away, but can be thrown away, of having the true moral high ground?

I certainly don’t think MLK was encouraging people to riot. He’s just stating the obvious that oppressed people are going to riot. Like saying smoking causes cancer isn’t encouraging cancer. It’s saying that there are consequences.

To paraphrase a fictional character, fight smarter, not harder.

A woman close to me was a New York City transit cop wearing a gold badge. She led crews through the subways each morning to collect the usual haul of overnight corpses. If she used force and violence against sewer rats and alligators, she didn’t mention it to me.

It’s really great your transit cop friend is ethical.

It’s not like average street cops are held to much in the way of ethics. Really there’s a massive incentive to keep omerta, and there’s dire consequences for stepping out of line and tattling on your fellow cops.

I don’t know how that factors into life as a transit cop, but I have the feeling they’re given enough routine responsibilities they don’t get bored enough to spend all day fucking with people like a normal street cop.

2 Likes