New and creepy black spider species discovered in the middle of Miami, Florida

Originally published at: New and creepy black spider species discovered in the middle of Miami, Florida | Boing Boing

3 Likes

So, um, I know y’all wanted to make America great again and all that, but making a play for Australia’s throne of weird’n’deadly is really not what we had in mind.

7 Likes

Yet another reason to never go to Florida.

2 Likes

Given that it’s been here longer than us, and there are no recorded cases of it bothering any humans, it’s not likely to be troublesome the way medically important spiders used to be relevant in Australia. No one has died from spider bite in Australia since 1979. The most common problem caused by spiders in both countries, the heeby jeebies, is very treatable. https://australian.museum/learn/animals/spiders/spider-facts/

7 Likes

Never has this gif seemed so very relevant…

floridabb

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but that spider is awesome. It’s like the more metal brother of a tarantula. I wish them all the best.

11 Likes

When I was a kid I had this old set of Childcraft books from… I dunno, the 60s? Anyway, they had some really cool pics of trap door spiders and I thought they were super interesting.

3 Likes

3 Likes

The most metal spider must be Poecilotheria metallica, by name if not by appearance:

11 Likes

Whadaya mean? That’s what 'Murica’s got politicians fer!

2 Likes

it seems every time we talk about endangered animals, there needs to be a ‘useful purpose’ as a reason we should protect them.
Spiders: We have venom that could fight cancer you caused!

When they mentioned it was inhabiting a forest near the zoo, I kind of assumed it was an escaped species… to happen to have an unknown species that is supposed to be there is amazingly cool! :slight_smile:

I am more and more in favor of giving Florida back to the Seminole and pretending we never knew it was there.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.