New app lets you hire an armed driver along with your ride

Driver: “Yeah, the cops fired me so now I’m doing this.”
Black rider: “Uh, I think I’ve changed my mind.”

7 Likes

Cool, cool - I can’t foresee any possible problems at all. I’m sure this isn’t a whole raft of lawsuits waiting to happen. I definitely read about problems with Uber/Lyft and think, “You know what would have made this situation better? A gun.”

[quote=“snigs, post:7, topic:250453”]

Yep. Also completely untrained yahoos with guns accidentally shooting their passengers, themselves, random bystanders… And now this is “their job,” so there’s an added mantle of (false) authority - they’ll be like cops, but without even the wildly insufficient background checks or training.

For guns to have utility in “self-defense” they either have to make one bulletproof (which they obviously don’t do), or one uses them to take care of potential threats before they become actual threats - i.e. by shooting someone who isn’t actually a threat yet. (Because if you wait for them to become a threat, you’ve lost any advantage the gun gives you.)

Unfortunately, that message goes contrary to the entire American gun power fantasy that’s the basis of most (non-hunting) gun ownership. That power fantasy is quite a foundational myth in this country, so there’s a lot invested in not understanding that message.

8 Likes

I’m sure they’ll be as good as police departments in vetting their recruits. /s

4 Likes

On the one hand, there will be no vetting, but on the other hand, they won’t actively recruit drivers who lost their previous jobs after they shot someone, so…

3 Likes

Okay, but hear me out. My wife and I are visibly trans, and in this day and age I am not sure I need a person with a gun, but I have thought if there was a rent-a-bouncer type of situation, I might consider it. The last time we went to the county fair, more people were taking pictures of my wife than the goats. Having an insanely large body guard looking person to stare them down might disensentivize some of the idiots out there from engaging with us.

Not sure a car driver with a gun would even help, as I still have to deal with the threat that the driver is a bigot that might have issues with us too.

5 Likes

How the above lead to the creation of Uber for dumbfuck is beyond me.

make security accessible for everyone.

Doctor: Sir, the cancer had reached your brain but let treat your chapped lips first because it must be uncomfortable. I only need to keep it controlled until the cancer does its job.

Priority, priority. Gun nuts and gun control in a nutshell.

“They can see a situation brewing before it happens.”

Ask people in conflict zones how it turns out. The whole point is to not even letting a possibility of the situation to happen, not freaking react to it. Every good guys with a gun will shoot themselves and bystanders before even reaching the instigator.

Kingbrown says that he plans to expand the company quickly, and his next step is to launch in Los Angeles.

The company better find anyone willing to insure this shit because claims and lawsuits are just matter of time.

3 Likes

2 secs if you’re “woke”

2 Likes

Now let’s not generalize. There are many Uber drivers in the northern part of the metro counties who don’t carry guns.

/s

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.