Arizona CEO who calls black Uber driver the N-- word is banned from app, suspended from job

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/06/arizona-ceo-who-calls-black-ub.html

6 Likes

Before anybody asks,

Clarke told the station in an interview that he has had a policy of only allowing people in the front seat for parties of three or more since he was sexually assaulted by a passenger in the front seat last year.

Good on the Uber driver for sticking firmly to his principles and trying to diffuse the situation in the best way possible.

Having to shuttle around drunk and entitled assholes after hours seems like a rough gig. I’ve heard many stories from Uber drivers about how much it sucks dealing with this kind of clientele (and how they are often the worst tippers) and I don’t envy them.

As an aside,

That’s some Bond supervillain sounding shit right there.

33 Likes

10 Likes

The CEO is an immigrant from Sweden? Man, they’re not sending their best…

19 Likes

This guy is probably not accustomed to facing consequences for his actions.

10 Likes

The way our whole society is headed with cameras (and audio) recording our every move…

Some people say that when everyone carries guns, it promotes a very polite atmosphere. My retort is that when everyone is always being filmed should produce a polite society.

I guess at 72, this guy isn’t quite yet used to being filmed all the time, lots of years of habits to unlearn.

7 Likes

Also, he admitted he’d been drinking, and given the risk of vomiting, the only safe place for him to be in the car would really be the trunk. Or possibly towed behind in a uhaul trailer.

When I do a ridesharing app, my instinct is to get in the back. Is that what most people do?

10 Likes

In vino veritas.

7 Likes

I’m thinking base-level poorly behaved douchebag. His company has “Aggro” right in the name.

7 Likes

America’s “Record Low Unemployment” = You get sexually assaulted at a job and then have to go back to that job because you have no other options. Plus student debt thrown in. The indentured servitude, workhouses and piece-work of the past? There’s an App for that!

14 Likes

“I shouldn’t have said what I said.”
Ya think?

3 Likes

I hear you, but without video evidence, you’ve got a wealthy white dude saying he got bad treatment from a black man. Who do you think would have gotten the short end of the stick in that case?

7 Likes

I’m not sure if you can call the resulting society polite if the people only behave like that because there is a constant threat of punishment.
The resentment and racism are still there, and while it is not manifested the same old ways, people would find new ways to express it with some denial plausibility.

3 Likes

Credit given to Uber for banning this person; even broken clocks are correct twice a day.

16 Likes

A James Bond ejector seat would be nice in that situation.

3 Likes

I have a messed up knee that doesn’t like to bend…I ride in the front. Cars especially if they have security screens have poor legroom in the back. Mostly I take cabs, and they know me and it’s cool but there is the occasional time the driver doesn’t want me in the front so I get them to send another car

2 Likes

Legit reason, especially if weather is not conducive to letting your legs stick out the back window.

1 Like

I thought Sweden didn’t have racism because of its cultural and ethnic homogeneity… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I prefer the roof rack in good weather. Some years ago, I had some broken ribs and I literally could not sit down for a couple weeks. Really limits your options if you want to go somewhere. I rode the bus to work so that was OK

2 Likes

The irony is Sweden is more of a nation of immigrants than the US is right now, in a literal sense - a quarter of the population being either foreign born or having both parents being foreign born, almost twice the percent for the US…

4 Likes