New book makes clear how close we came on Jan. 6: Mike Pence was "nearly lost" and plans were made to secure continuity of government

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/13/new-book-makes-clear-how-close-we-came-on-jan-6-mike-pence-was-nearly-lost-and-plans-were-made-to-secure-continuity-of-government.html

15 Likes

Have we forgotten the conspiracy theories so soon?

32 Likes

Yeah, I was gonna say…there was a whole ass documentary that implied that very thing.

27 Likes

Man, I am so tired of “living in ‘interesting’ times.”

39 Likes

And a number of half-ass ones too. I realize now I may have fallen for Yoy’s engagement bait.

17 Likes

But never before had they dealt with an insurrection against our own government, inspired by the president of the United States.

I hope that they took some “lessons learned” from the incident, because the fascists are far from done in their attempts at insurrection.

55 Likes

You call Bush the lesser a nincompoop, I say war criminal… Though, really:

Animated GIF

34 Likes

That was actually funny; begrudging kudos.

Kinda sucks to say, engagement shouldn’t have to be “baited.”

I remember a time on Boing Boing when most mutants genuinely enjoyed conversing with one another about nerdy & cool topics… when almost everything wasn’t just a perpetual ‘intellectual pissing contest’ set amid a cacophony of ragebait & clickbait…

Enshitification Continues

44 Likes

I wholeheartedly and unironically agree.

20 Likes

Guess “we’re not so different, you and I;

Whodathunk?

16 Likes

hill

41 Likes

Fiona Hill, former top trump Russain adviser

I didn’t realize that Top Trumps have a Russian Desk.

15 Likes

I feel like I’m having an aneurysm when I hear the strident pundits over at Faux News downplay January 6th and mock Democrats for investigating it. Their minions built a gallows to hang Mike Pence for fuck’s sake and they still pretend it was harmless tourists walking through the stanchions.

55 Likes

Apt:

51 Likes

While I won’t accuse the Bush administration of engineering the events of 9/11, former FBI insider and translator Sibel Edmonds makes an astonishingly good case that there was sufficient forewarning intentionally swept under the carpet. Then she was compelled under an executive gag order to not be a whistleblower, so there’s that

Nevertheless, I see Tr*mp as a far more sinister and destructive character.

9 Likes

Not that I think you’re responsible for inventing the phrase or anything, but “interesting times” is a weird way to describe them IMO. Dangerous, stressful, pivotal, sure, but is humanity yet again refusing to learn from history, yet again failing to make progress, yet again giving power and privilege to the worst among us, really “interesting”? Personally, I can’t imagine anything more banal and exasperating. If humanity got its shit together and started actually solving problems, making new discoveries, alleviating suffering and expanding its creative horizons, that’d be a hell of a lot more interesting than “fascism… again” and “inequality… still goin’ strong after all these years!” As a species, it feels like we’re trapped in a mire where the view never changes and the best we can manage is not sinking under.

2 Likes

Come now- Just because the president received a briefing titled bin Laden Determined to Strike in US a month before 9/11, is no reason to assume that anyone in the White House could have foreseen Bin Laden striking in the US…

4 Likes

Uh…

You do know it’s allegedly supposed to be a old Chinese curse, right?

While accursed is a good descriptor for 45’s (hopefully only) term in the White House, and all the fuckery which has been wrought since, I was stating my own weariness… despite my steadfast refusal to give up hope.

“Interesting” is used as a rather sadistic euphemism and that was my point.

I’d give almost anything for sane, boring times with a fair and uneventful system of governance.

30 Likes
2 Likes

I do think if that circus clown somehow manages to win that it will mark the end of the current United States experiment. All good things come to an end, and often suddenly.

As a citizen of your neighbour I’ve already started trying to set up a plan to move further away, because when the magical thinking approach to government doesn’t work the next step is to start a war.

5 Likes