New bulletproof SUV for suburban moms comes with pepper spray cannons and more

I suspect the maker may have some success marketing this buggy in upscale areas not far from prisons, like (in California) Folsom, Norco, and San Quentin.

$300,000 for a consumer vehicle is upper middle class? I have no concept of money in the real world I guess. Jesus, I’m so poor.

8 Likes

Yeah exactly, I was exactly thinking this is for the offspring of Russian oligarchs, Gulf Arabs, and flashy celebrities. In fact some of the videos about this SUV that came up on Youtube are in Russian.

This thing is ridiculous, just a highly customized Escalade for people who want to show off. Although maybe if I were in the rap music industry this might be both stylish and practical.

Republican moms in Scottsdale aren’t buying these, contra the BB headline.

2 Likes

Well, yeah.

(that’s a soundly mocked WSJ infographic)

10 Likes

:thinking: Ah, now it makes more sense. They’re all involved in work that brings in a lot of cash and involves high risk. So they need a vehicle like this for security, and probably a tax write-off. Great for trips to do the laundry, too. :wink:

Growing Sesame Street GIF

5 Likes

I was watching Antiques Roadshow, some guy was explaining how he acquired two paintings from the artist in 2015. During the negotiations he said he told the artist he couldn’t afford much because he was a man of modest means.

The negotiated price was 15 grand.

Our definition of modest means are way different.

3 Likes

“I mean, compared to the other people in my gated community, I only have a garage big enough for three of my cars.”

2 Likes

I don’t recall that a prison is located near Scottsdale, Did I miss it? Which raises the question: Just where ARE these beasts selling? In mid- or up-scale areas near prisons, or elsewhere?

I have not read it in many years but this thing made me think of Richard Morgan’s Market Forces.

It seems like the sort of thing the hero in that would have driven. (It was a dystopian future allegory.)

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Follow-up

Moved.

2 Likes

I Like To Move It Reaction GIF by iACE

4 Likes

Holy crap, WSJ. That infographic is shockingly out of touch. I mean, I know we all know they are, but wow. When you see it written down like that, really brings it home. I would have seen that and thought is has to be satire.

7 Likes

I bet it’s still super easy to steal the catalytic converter.

3 Likes

The target market would probably prefer it without cats.

And I’m sure that absolutely no neo-Nazis or GQP are looking at these, figuring out where to put the gun ports (assuming they’re not already there behind one of those cheap plastic panels), and calculating how to accidentally plow into the next protest and activate the defenses. This is designed for Death Squad ethnic clensing use, and the manufacturer, by offering a “military” package, is well aware that these machines will be used to kill people.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.