New "Cobra Kai" trailer: the Karate Kid is a car salesman and Johnny is still a prick

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/20/new-cobra-kai-trailer-the.html

3 Likes
13 Likes
5 Likes

This sounded like such a lame idea; but the trailer has really turned me around. Go, Cobra Kai!

6 Likes

It’s been a loong time since I’ve watched the original. I thought Johnny was redeemed at the end when he handed Daniel the trophy himself.

edit: Hey, Martin Kove is still kicking it at age 72. He even played “Karate Sensai” in a recent Goldbergs but I don’t see a credit for this one. They should have tossed Martin a bone.

3 Likes

you aren’t wrong. In #2 he becomes the victim as well when his sensei starts beating on him for losing to Daniel.

6 Likes

“Buncha wangless dorks?” Seems they shill for ze masculinitie toxique!

2 Likes

Lord help me, this actually looks like something I want to see.

5 Likes

It looks like more midlife crisis…

1 Like

I really like how this appears to be running with the “Daniel was the jerk” interpretation but is also Actually-ing it by examining why Johnny is definitely a jerk, thereby creating a show that appears to be about why these two men still haven’t quite grown up.

(Kreese, as you’ll recall, was more than simply a jerk: he was abusive. I hope they do right by the boys and don’t waste him here with a cheesy cameo.)

6 Likes

This sounded like a terrible idea last month, and it still sounds terrible now.

My opinion hasn’t changed.

8 Likes

The vacant lot next to Daniel’s Reseda apartment building is recently no longer a vacant lot.

South Seas and the lot to the right

Pass. Really, a PASS.

5 Likes

Pat Morita would’ve been the only reason to watch this :frowning:

4 Likes

Mine has. I’m even more excited now than I was then about the time I’ll save not watching this. :grinning:

I can’t stop Hollywood from trashing my childhood in search of the almighty reboot dollar, but I’m not giving them my eyeballs to abuse.

“God willing, we’ll all meet again in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money” ~ Yoghurt

6 Likes

And it’s on YouTube Red; fuck all that noise.

If I wanna feel some nostalgic pangs, I’ll go back and rewatch the original instead of two grown ass men desperately trying to rehash their former glory days for a quick buck.

Also, I realize I should have lead with this:

No Pat Morita means NO Karate Kid, period.

4 Likes

But with this premise, this new Karate Kid wouldn´t be a great show?

But I doubt they would do something bitter like that …

It’s official; I’ve been on the internet way too long.

I honestly can’t tell if that was sarcasm or a serious comment.

5 Likes

I am sorry. But I would like to see a show like this. No comedy, no generic action movie with superheroes. A nice bittersweet drama about normal people. Ok, not normal, just two guys living their crazy daydream in a real world.

I think something like Bojack Horseman…

1 Like

Okay, you were serious. I genuinely wasn’t sure.

Carry on.

1 Like